Monday, June 15, 2009

14 June - Second Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 6

We're back in Ordinary Time. Well, except I suppose the Episcopalians don't exactly call it that. This one kind of snuck up on me. So much for advanced preparations.

Remember my mini-rant from my last post? I shall endeavour to keep my rant to myself, especially since I was the one who planned the following set of music. At least having to make slight alterations to a piece I honestly disliked intensely prevented me from spewing any more bile than could have been spewed already.

But I digress. You can do the math as to which piece I may be thinking of.



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Second Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Schmücke dich, O liebe Seele (Op. 122, No. 5; J. Brahms)
Processional Hymn: 525, The Church's one foundation (AURELIA)
Trisagion: S-100, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 20 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 302, Father, we thank thee who hast planted (RENDEZ À DIEU)
Offertory Hymn: WLP 747, God the sculptor of the mountains (Urbis beata, Sarum Plainsong Mode II)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert/Proulx))
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Communion Song: Gather I 243, Take our bread (J. Wise)
Recessional Hymn: 213, Come away to the skies (MIDDLEBURY)
Postlude: Fuge or Voluntary in D (Wm. Selby; ed. B. Owen)




I played the 4:00 pm service for Carol Woods, which is organised by Chapel of the Cross. During the summer, the music list would generally reflect what was played at the 8:00 am Rite I Eucharist, but the presider du jour did not like the Closing Hymn. When I saw what it was, I heartily agreed with him. That piece still gives me nightmares, no thanks to my organ teacher, who asked me to have his "Anybody Choir" sing that thing during Offertory, and guess who had to direct this choir from the console? We were only too happy to replace it with what I programmed as Closing at St Joseph's, and what Van programmed as Communion Hymn at the 10:00 am service at Chapel of the Cross.

The music list:

Second Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: A very short improvisation on Aurelia
Processional Hymn: 525, The Church's one foundation (AURELIA)
Psalm: Psalm 20 (recited)
Offertory Hymn: 290, Come ye thankful people, come (ST GEORGE'S, WINDSOR)
Comm: Schmücke dich, O liebe Seele (Op. 122, No. 5; J. Brahms)
Recessional Hymn: 213, Come away to the skies (MIDDLEBURY)
Postlude: Fuge or Voluntary in D (Wm. Selby; ed. B. Owen)

The next Carol Woods service will be on June 28.

No comments: