Friday, August 15, 2008

Mmmmm. Food ...

Oooh, oooh, I wanna play! Borrowed from JunoMagic.

The rules:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

Buzzy’s addition: Underline the ones you’ve cooked/made/grown/gathered yourself.

Juno’s addition: Add one to three foods that you’ve cooked/enjoyed that are not on the list so far!

Lyn's addition: Well, I can't think of any, so I just added my comments in italics.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile (Does alligator count? Had it in the Brasilian steakhouses.)
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi (although I prefer it sweet)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (I'd have the cognac, but wouldn't have the cigar.)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail (contained in one of my favourite dishes, kare-kare)
41. Curried goat (usually contained in kaldereta, although there are a couple of Indian restaurants in this area that does a wonderful goat curry that I never tire of eating ...)
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk (yes, straight from the goat. I thought it was too rich for me - and as a result, undrinkable. My cousins teased me for weeks afterward.)
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel (Eel sushi, yummmm)
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnuts (Best when freshly made.)
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear (Had it as a candy. It's pretty good.)
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer (Made it with peas, spinach, potatoes, etc.)
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (In a previous life ...)
56. Spaetzle (it was a friend's speciality, and he made it pretty well.)
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine (Sorry for you Quebeçois who consider this comfort food. To me, it looks like heart attack on a plate.)
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores (Camp food! Best enjoyed around a campfire with others.)
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin (I'd only consider it for medicinal purposes.)
64. Currywurst (Looks interesting. I'd probably try this.)
65. Durian (Smells awful, but tastes great.)
66. Frogs’ legs (This amongst others I had at a restaurant called Pinausukan in Manila.)
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (I tried chitterlings at Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill ... interesting is all I can say about it.)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu (Call me a spoilsport. I would generally not ingest something that I might associate with use in the lab.)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie (Sickly sweetness. Haven't had one since elementary school.)
78. Snail (See my comment after 66 above.)
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum (yum yum. Love Thai soups!)
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky (Bribe sticks, really - easy to get a friend to do things if I promise him Pocky sticks! heh heh heh)
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant (Not sure if the ones I've had at Nana's count, but the two I've had - wonderful!)
85. Kobe beef (Kinda helps to have generous friends who can afford this stuff. Kobe beef is every bit as good as described.)
86. Hare (I tried cooking this once. It turned out very gamey. I never tried it again.)
87. Goulash
88. Flowers (Had it in Hawaii. Not bad, really.)
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam (I would not be a true Filipino if I didn't have this growing up!)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox (The best I've had comes from Barney Greengrass in NYC.)
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake
101. Spider Crab
102. Ossobucco alla Milanese
103. Creme Bavaroise
104. Octopus
105. Philippine milkfish (bangus) (I can eat this all day, one of my favourite fish, if you can get past all the bones.)
106. Starfruit (balimbing)

No comments: