Sunday, August 24, 2008

24 August - 15th Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 16

Yay! Compline is back!!!

But before I go on about that, here are my usual lists. I played two services today.

Service #1: St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Canticle 13: Glory to You (J. Rutter)*
Pro: 304, I come with joy to meet my Lord (LAND OF REST)
Trisagion: S-100 (New Plainsong Mass; Hurd)
Psalm: Psalm 124 (Barrett)
Seq: 707, Take my life, and let it be (HOLLINGSIDE)
Off: 522, Glorious things of thee are spoken (AUSTRIA)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Comm: WLP 831, Ubi Caritas (Taizé)
Re: 525, The Church's one foundation (AURELIA)
Postlude: Allegretto (Wm. Boyce)

* I will be introducing a new piece of service music to this group. Well, new to this congregation, but not to me. So I'll use the old "saturation" strategy - S-236 will be my prelude for the rest of August. That way, by the time we get to September 7, when we change the service music once again, the congregation should be able to have it in their heads and sing this with gusto. (I hope.)

Service #2: Carol Woods. Services there are organised by Chapel of the Cross. This was my last Sunday there as starting next Sunday, my services at the Episcopal Centre at Duke University will be required once again.

The Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite I
Prelude: Adagio from Voluntary I (Op. 7; J. Stanley)
Pro: 645, The King of love my shepherd is (ST. COLUMBA)
Off: 707, Take my life, and let it be (HOLLINGSIDE)
Comm: Prelude in b-flat minor (BWV 867; J.S. Bach)*
Re: 525, The Church's one foundation (AURELIA)
Postlude: Largo Staccato from Voluntary IX (Op. 7; J. Stanley)

* I prepared this piece especially for this congregation, as a kind of parting gift to them. I was enchanted by this piece when I first heard my piano teacher, Greg McCallum play it. The people at Carol Woods were very nice - during the Announcements, one of them approached me holding a gift bag. I was gobsmacked - I certainly did not expect anything, and yet this congregation gave me a going-away present in appreciation for my playing the services through the summer. (They gave me a piano-shaped pin and a really nice silk scarf.) I thanked them, it was indeed a wonderful experience for me, and I will keep the kindness and generosity of the people at Carol Woods with me.

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd. This was our first Compline of the academic year, and the attendance was amazing, both as far as the numbers of choir members present, as well as the huge numbers of people who were present at the service itself. I kept thinking of how far we've gone - when I first started singing with this group (thanks to a friend of mine who dragged me there one Sunday evening), attendance was rather sparse, and we'd be lucky if 20 people turned up. Now? The church was at least 2/3 full, and that might even have been under-estimated. It was wonderful!

Our little additions to the Hurd setting:

Lord, for thy tender mercy's sake (R. Farrant)
Psalms 91 and 134 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: To you before the close of day (TE LUCIS ANTE TERMINUM, Mode 8)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Salve Regina (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Tomas Luis de Victoria)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

For the Fall 2008 semester, Compline will go on every Sunday night at 9.30 pm until the first Sunday in December. Watch this space for the Compline music lists. The Schola, comprising of members from Duke Chapel Choir, UNC's Newman Center, members from Chapel of the Cross, and UNC students, are under the direction of Dr. Wylie S. Quinn, Organist/Choirmaster at Chapel of the Cross.

No comments: