Sunday, August 17, 2008

17 August - 14th Sunday After Pentecost - Proper 15

Here are my usual lists. I just played two services today.

I played the organ and piano at the 7.45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception. As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Gloria: 254 (Lee)
Gospel Acclamation: 261, Murray; verse chanted to tone VIII-g
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: Mass of Creation. Those of you who have followed my musings know I've whinged on enough about this setting. Yes, I don't like singing it. Even more, I don't like playing it. Sorry, Mr. Haugen, but this just is not one of your compositions that move me. I'm still quite mystified how this spread like wildfire such that it seems that all Catholic parishes in the United States seem to revert to this setting as their "default" Mass setting. (shudder)

Prelude: Improvisation on St. Catherine (because I was so late ... I couldn't wake up this morning :-S)
Pro: 600, Faith of our Fathers (ST. CATHERINE)
Psalm: 66, Psalm 67 (Guimont)
Off: 821, Bread of Life, Hope of the World (B. Farrell)
Comm: A portion of Echo Fantasia 5 (Ionian; attr. J. Sweelinck)
Re: 612, Amazing Grace (NEW BRITAIN)
Postlude: Allein zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ (Sweelinck)

Okay, okay. I think I'm all Sweelinck'd out. I'll have to find something else for next week. Even though I've subjected my poor parishioners to Sweelinck for what feels like the past month or so, I'm still getting compliments from people about those charming pieces I'm playing. (Maybe I'm getting a little bored with scales. But ... well, my piano teacher, Greg McCallum would probably be quite happy that I am still practising my scales! Let's all do our Hanon rolls now ...)

Service #2: St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Canticle 13: Glory to You (J. Rutter)*
Pro: 410, Praise my soul, the King of heaven (LAUDA ANIMA)
Trisagion: S-100 (New Plainsong Mass; Hurd)
Psalm: Psalm 133 (Plainsong, Mode 6; ed. Ford)
Seq: 531, O Spirit of the living God (MELCOMBE)
Off: 677, God moves in a mysterious way (LONDON NEW)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Comm: WLP 772, O Christ the healer (KEDRON)**
Re: 539, O Zion, haste (TIDINGS)
Postlude: Allein zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ (Sweelinck)

* I will be introducing a new piece of service music to this group. Well, new to this congregation, but not to me. So I'll use the old "saturation" strategy - S-236 will be my prelude for the rest of August. That way, by the time we get to September 7, when we change the service music once again, the congregation should be able to have it in their heads and sing this with gusto. (I hope.)

** This is a lovely piece from Wonder, Love, and Praise. When I introduced it to my choir a couple of weeks ago, one of them thought it sounded like a very peaceful Native American song. They've caught on to it quite well, and I've received compliments on choosing it for today's service. For the Communion hymn slot for the next couple of Sundays, we'll be doing the Taizé setting of Ubi caritas. Well, it'll fit the readings for the next couple of Sundays, and I'm hopeful that I can use that as the Communion Hymn for when the Duke students return to the Episcopal Centre at Duke University in a couple of weeks.

No comments: