Sunday, August 10, 2008

2 + 2 = 4, last I checked.

Yes. I participated in four services today. The first, I cantored, the last three, I played either organ or piano (or both).

With that, the lists.

I cantored the 7.45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception. My friend Andy played the piano. (I'll be drawing the playing duties next Sunday whilst our friend Jane enjoys her African trip.) As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Gloria: 254 (Lee)
Gospel Acclamation: 261, Murray; verse chanted to tone VIII-g
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: Mass of Creation, with my "doctoring" of the Agnus Dei, essentially undoing the language faux-pas Haugen inflicted upon it in the first place ...

Pro: 571, We gather together (KREMSER)
Psalm: Psalm 85 (Guimont)
Off: 577, Come, my way, my truth, my life (THE CALL)
Comm: Organist's Voluntary
Re: 661, The Church's one foundation (AURELIA)

Service #2: St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Canticle 13: Glory to You (J. Rutter)*
Pro: 388, O worship the King (HANOVER)
Trisagion: S-100 (New Plainsong Mass; Hurd)
Psalm: Psalm 105 (Guimont)
Seq: 608, Eternal Father, strong to save (MELITA) - Yes, the Navy Hymn.
Off: 680, O God, our help in ages past (ST. ANNE)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Comm: WLP 800, Precious Lord, take my hand (MAITLAND, adatped)**
Re: 375, Give praise and glory unto God (DU LEBENSBROT HERR JESU CHRIST)
Postlude: Fanfare in C Major (H. Purcell)

* I will be introducing a new piece of service music to this group. Well, new to this congregation, but not to me. So I'll use the old "saturation" strategy - S-236 will be my prelude for the rest of August. That way, by the time we get to September 7, when we change the service music once again, the congregation should be able to have it in their heads and sing this with gusto. (I hope.)

** I noticed a discrepancy in the words between the Episcopal hymnals Wonder, Love, and Praise and Lift Every Voice and Sing II and other hymnals/sources (for example, Gather Comprehensive, and lyrics gleaned from a Google search) for this piece. If you click on the title (Precious Lord) in my list above, you will have the opportunity to read the story behind the song. That was the basis for my using the version in Gather Comprehensive instead of in LEVAS II.

We said goodbye to our friend Valarie, who will be leaving for the University of Wisconsin at Madison, where she will begin a Ph.D. program in Microbiology. Good luck and Godspeed, Valarie.

Service #3: Carol Woods. Services there are organised by Chapel of the Cross. This was a simple service, really resembling the 8.00 am summer morning Rite I services at Chapel of the Cross, with a few omissions, depending upon the Presider of the Day. I've agreed to serve as the service pianist for the whole of the summer, up until my services at the Episcopal Centre at Duke University are required again shortly before Labour Day.

The Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite I
Prelude: Improvisation on Olivet
Pro: 388, O worship the King (HANOVER)
Off: 608, Eternal Father, strong to save (MELITA)
Comm: Echo Fantasia 5 (Ionian; attr. J. Sweelinck)
Re: 636, How firm a foundation (FOUNDATION)
Postlude: Fanfare in C Major (H. Purcell)

Service #4: My turn came up at Chapel of the Cross for the late Sunday afternoon service. I thought this was the coolest thing: Van and I chose the same Opening Hymn and Sequence Hymn, despite the fact we're doing different readings (except for the Gospel, which is the story of Jesus walking on water).

The Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Echo Fantasia 5 (Ionian; attr. J. Sweelinck)
Pro: 388, O worship the King (HANOVER)
Psalm: Ps 85 (recited)
Seq: 512, Come, gracious Spirit, heavenly Dove (MENDON)
Off: 691, My faith looks up to thee (OLIVET)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Comm: Toccata (Dorian, Sweelinck)
Re: 636, How firm a foundation (FOUNDATION)
Postlude: Fanfare in C Major (H. Purcell)

No comments: