Monday, May 30, 2011

29 May— Sixth Sunday of Easter

Yesterday was my busy day. I have three lists for your viewing pleasure.

My first list is from the 7:45 a.m. Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover). My friend, Jane L., was behind the console.

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Sixth Sunday of Easter
Prelude: II – Chorale: Ave Maria from the Four Improvisations on Gregorian Melodies (F. Peeters)
Opening Hymn: 527, Praise to the Lord, the Almighty (LOBE DEN HERREN)
Gloria: Chant Mass, arr. by J. Lynch, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Psalm: Psalm 66 (Guimont)
Gospel Acclamation: 263 (Hughes Alleluia in C)
Offertory: 434, This Joyful Eastertide (VRUECHTEN)
Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation: Chant Mass, arr. by J. Lynch, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Amen: Simple, three-note Amen (G-(G-A))
Agnus Dei: 312, Agnus Dei XVIII (in Latin)
Communion: 815, You satisfy the hungry heart (BICENTENNIAL)
Recessional: 524, Holy God we praise Thy name (GROSSER GOTT)
Postlude: Fugue on the Magnificat (BWV 733; J. S. Bach)

I was so charmed by the prelude. And it sounds like a piece that is within my abilities, so I'll definitely look for it and work on it.

After the Mass, I was approached by a couple of people who told me that I had the best vowel sounds on the planet. Seriously. His words. ^_^ I guess this means that Van Quinn's constant harping about good vowel sounds made an impression on me. So thanks, Van, for your persistence.

According to Fr. Bill, Phase Two of the implementation of the New Missal will occur in a couple of weeks, where the congregation will start using the new English translation of the Credo. Phase One was the new service music... at least, at the 7:45 am Mass, we're using the Chant Mass setting that Jane had arranged. To my ears, it sounds like the people are singing it. Of course, it did help that we announce it before the Mass: I noticed people reach over for the leaflets at the end of the pews to have a look when I had announced it yesterday before the Mass.

I think it's a brilliant idea, what they're doing at Immaculate Conception. Complete implementation of the new translation of the Mass will take place on the First Sunday of Advent this year, and it's good they're doing it gradually so that by the time November 27 comes around, it won't come as a complete shock to the People in the PewsTM.



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Sixth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Mass for the Convents: Plein Jeu, Petit Fugue sur le Chromhorne, Duo sur les tierces (F. Couperin)
Processional: 705, As those of old their first fruits brought (FOREST GREEN)
Psalm: Psalm 66 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 514, To thee, O Comforter divine (ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S)
Offertory Anthem: If ye love me (T. Tallis)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Communion: 292, O Jesus, crowned with all renown (KINGSFOLD)
Recessional: 344, Lord, dismiss us with thy blessing (SICILIAN MARINERS)
Postlude: Mass for the Convents: Dialogue sur les grands jeux (Couperin)

I knew we were going to be short on voices (three of seven were absent) so I programmed something the choir knows very well. And besides, it also fit the Gospel reading very well. They did just fine with me singing soprano and with the choir accompanied by piano and guitar. Yes, guitar. Dave, who is classically trained, does a wonderful job.

My acknowledgement of Rogation Sunday was the Communion Hymn. However, as you can see, at my next service, the Rogation Sunday theme was prevalent in all the hymn choices.



My turn came up to play the the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross. Since the air conditioning was not working in the chapel, the service was held in the church.

Sixth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Mass for the Convents: Plein jeu, Petit Fugue sur le Chromhorne, Récit de Chromhorne (F. Couperin)
Processional Hymn: 409, The spacious firmament on high (CREATION)
Psalm: Psalm 66, recited
Sequence Hymn: 398, I sing the almighty power of God (FOREST GREEN)
Offertory: 405, All things bright and beautiful (ROYAL OAK)
Sanctus: S-125 Community Mass (R. Proulx)
Communion Voluntary: Mass for the Convents: Tierce en Taille (Elevation; F. Couperin)
Recessional Hymn: 379, God is love, let heaven adore him (ABBOT'S LEIGH)
Postlude: Mass for the Convents: Offertoire sur les grands jeux (F. Couperin)

To be honest, I was happy to have the chance to play the Kleuker again. Unfortunately, the lightning strike last Friday knocked out all the digital stops, so they were unavailable to me. Also too, there was something in the Positiv that didn't quite sound right... more like out of tune, and Van did warn me about that shortly before he left for a previously scheduled engagement. But it went over well... and it's just as well I was in a Couperin mood! ^_^

The compliment that the presiding priest gave me was a really nice surprise. He asked me before the service if I would have a problem playing the Kleuker, and I told him no and that it was a pleasure to be able to play the Kleuker. After the service, he thanked me for my music and declared I played the organ very well.

If you're curious about the stoplist, you may see it here.

No comments: