Sunday, May 22, 2011

22 May— Fifth Sunday of Easter

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Fifth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Adagio-Allegro, Voluntary in e minor (Op. 7, No. 7; J. Stanley)
Processional: 47, On this day, the first of days (GOTT SEI DANK)
Psalm: Psalm 31 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 457, Thou art the way, to Thee alone (ST. JAMES)
Offertory: Alleluia (Andrea Gabrieli)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Communion: 455, O Love of God, how strong and true (DUNEDIN)
Recessional: 366, Holy God, we praise thy Name (v. 1-4; GROSSER GOTT)
Postlude: Rigaudon (Georg Böhm)

We were working with reduced forces today, but with me on soprano, Alison on tenor, and Christian on alto(!) along with Fred and Gavin singing their usual parts, we did great. My choristers are a very talented bunch, and I truly mean it when I tell them they make my job look easier.



I played the 4.00 pm service for Carol Woods which was organised by the Chapel of the Cross. It is always a pleasure playing for these folks, and many came up to me after the service to thank me for my music. They'll be hearing more of me since I'll be playing summer services there.

The music list:

Fifth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Alleluia (Andrea Gabrieli; played on the piano)
Processional: 518, Christ is made the sure foundation (WESTMINSTER ABBEY)
Psalm: Psalm 31:1–5, 15–16 (recited)
Offertory: 457, Thou art the way, to Thee alone (ST. JAMES)
Communion: Allegro, Voluntary in e minor (Op. 7, No. 7; J. Stanley)
Recessional: 213, Come away to the skies, my beloved, arise (MIDDLEBURY)
Postlude: Rigaudon (Georg Böhm)

No comments: