Friday, May 6, 2011

1 May—Second Sunday of Easter

I see I have a bit of catching up to do.

Here are my music lists for two services last Sunday.

My first list is from the 7:45 a.m. Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover). My friend, Jane L., was behind the console.

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Second Sunday of Easter
Prelude: Offertoire pour le Jour de Pâques «O filii et filiæ» (J.-F. Dandrieu)
Opening Hymn: 430, I Know that My Redeemer Lives (DUKE STREET)
Gloria: Chant Mass, arr. by J. Lynch, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Psalm: Psalm 118 (Guimont)
Gospel Acclamation: 263 (Hughes Alleluia in C)
Offertory: 423, O sons and daughters, let us sing! (O FILII ET FILIAE)
Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation: Chant Mass, arr. by J. Lynch, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Amen: Simple, three-note Amen (G-(G-A))
Agnus Dei: 312, Agnus Dei XVIII (in Latin)
Communion Chant: Regina Coeli
Recessional: 446, The strife is o'er (VICTORY)
Postlude: Christ lag in Todesbanden (BWV 625; J. S. Bach)

Amazingly, Jane played the Christ lag... entirely by memory. She said it was one of the first pieces she learnt how to play on the organ. For me, it was the first piece out of the Orgelbüchlein I learned how to play.

As for the Communion Chant: I had a look at the chant in Gather, and I thought I'd have a hard time with it, mainly because I had this other chant in my head, thanks to chanting it in Compline during the appropriate Sundays. So I chanted it from memory.

I recorded an AudioBoo of me chanting this Marian antiphon, and it's embedded below.

Listen!



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

For this particular service, the Feast of St. Joseph was transferred to the Second Sunday of Easter.

Feast of St. Joseph (transferred): Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Mass for the Convents: Plein jeu and Récit de Chromhorne (F. Couperin)
Processional: 260, Come now, and praise the humble saint (TALLIS' ORDINAL)
Psalm: Psalm 89 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 587, Our Father, by whose Name (RHOSYMEDRE)
Offertory: Joseph dearest, Joseph mine (RESONET IN LAUDIBUS; #45 in Hymnal 1940)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Communion: 262, By the Creator, Joseph was appointed (BICKFORD);
LEVAS II 194, Lead me, guide me (D. Akers)
Recessional: 231, By all your saints still striving (NYLAND, using the St. Joseph's stanza for verse 2)
Postlude: Mass for the Convents: Offertoire sur les grands jeux (F. Couperin)

No comments: