Friday, October 9, 2009

4 October - Eighteenth Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 22

Hrmph. Late again.

I have two lists for you here. I will list the Compline pieces in a separate post.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Eighteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Fughetta (A. Scarlatti); Trio (J.-F. Dandrieu)
Processional Hymn: 450, All hail the power of Jesus' Name (CORONATION)
Gloria: S-277, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 26, Simplfied Anglican Chant
Sequence Hymn: 352, O God, to those who here profess (CAITHNESS)
Offertory Hymn: 448, O love, how deep, how broad, how high (DEUS TUORUM MILITUM)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Communion Anthem: O Lord, my God to Thee (Words: Ps 26; Music: J. Arcadelt)
Recessional Hymn: 397, Now thank we all our God (NUN DANKET ALLE GOTT)
Postlude: Nun danket alle Gott (G.F. Kaufmann)




Because it was Fall Break at Duke University, there was no afternoon service at the Episcopal Centre. So I was available to play the 5:15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross. Here is the music list.

The Feast of St. Francis of Assisi: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Fantasia in d minor (J. Pachelbel)
Processional Hymn: 400, All creatures of our God and King (LASST UNS ERFREUEN)
Psalm: Psalm 148 (recited)
Sequence Hymn: 405, All things bright and beautiful (ROYAL OAK)
Offertory Hymn: 593, Lord, make us servants of your peace (DICKINSON COLLEGE)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Comm: Poco allegretto and Andantino from 7 Pieces in C Major and Minor from L'Organiste (C. Franck)
Recessional Hymn: 376, Joyful, joyful, we adore thee (HYMN TO JOY)
Postlude: Hymn to Joy (W. Held)

Interestingly enough, it seemed that all people could talk about was the Blessing of the Animals that took place at the 9:00 am service. Yes, there was a horse amongst the dogs, cats, and other animals, including those of the stuffed variety. Yes, for the most part, they were all very well-behaved. No, there was only one accident, and that was from the horse (of course). Luckily, the slate floor made clean-up a snap.

Naturally, I received reports of this second-hand from those who were at that service that morning.

I'll try to be more on time with my lists. I'm getting Bach's Jesu, meine Freude back in the fingers. It's like riding a bicycle; I'd practiced that one so many times that it came back very quickly. I'm wibbling more over the accompaniment for the Communion Anthem, which comes out of the Oxford (Not-So) Easy Anthem Book, as well as the Communion Hymn that was a special request ("There's a Wideness in God's Mercy", Calvin Hampton's setting called St. Helena). It's a pretty setting, and I'm sure once I get it to sounding like music, the congregation will do fine with it.

But unfortunately for me, when I hear those words, the tune that pops to my mind immediately is In Babilone. I'll just have to ignore that earworm as I learn the accompaniment to that hymn... My choristers tell me they know this to Beecher, which is also in the Hymnal 1982. So they'll have to unlearn that as well.

But we'll carry on. :)

No comments: