Wednesday, October 21, 2009

11 October - Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 23

Playing catch-up.

I have two lists for you here.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Fantasia in d minor (J. Pachelbel)
Processional Hymn: WLP 782, Gracious Spirit, give your servants (ABBOT'S LEIGH)
Gloria: S-277, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 22, Simplfied Anglican Chant
Sequence Hymn: 404, We will extol you, ever-blessed Lord (OLD 124TH)
Offertory Hymn: 701, Jesus, all my gladness (JESU, MEINE FREUDE)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Communion Anthem: Vox ultima crucis (William H. Harris)
Communion Hymn: 469, There's a wideness in God's mercy (ST. HELENA)
Recessional Hymn: 460, Alleluia! sing to Jesus (HYFRYDOL)
Postlude: Jesu, meine Freude (BWV 610; J. S. Bach)

We received the most compliments over the Communion Hymn. It was a request by the deacon. To be honest, I did not know this hymntune, penned by Calvin Hampton. I know this text to In Babilone. Most of my choristers know it to Beecher, as found in The Hymnal 1982. (I wasn't familiar with that setting, either.)

It grew on me. When I looked at the accompaniment, I immediately knew I could get my guitarist to handle the arpeggios whilst the bass guitarist and I played soft chords and/or bass lines underneath.

It was really nice, and it moved a lot of people. Well done, Dave and Rob!




Episcopal Centre at Duke University, where I played the usual 4:00 pm service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982 unless otherwise indicated.

Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Improvisation on St. Anne
Processional Hymn: 680, O God, our help in ages past (ST. ANNE)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 90, recited
Sequence Hymn: 707, Take my life, and let it be (HOLLINGSIDE)
Offertory Hymn: 408, Sing praise to God who reigns above (MIT FREUDEN ZART)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion Hymn: WLP 827, O Lord, hear my pray'r (Taizé)
Recessional Hymn: 460, Alleluia! sing to Jesus (HYFRYDOL)
Postlude: Improvisation on Hyfrydol

Many thanks to the kind folks at St. Philip's in Durham for the wonderful dinner and fellowship!

No comments: