Thursday, September 3, 2009

Compline at Chapel of the Cross, Chapel Hill, NC

“Their sound is gone out unto all lands, and their words unto the ends of the earth!”

I've usually posted the Compline lists as part of my music lists. However, this time, I decided to do this as a separate post because I had a story I wanted to share with everyone.

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

Lord, for thy tender mercy's sake (R. Farrant)
Psalm 91 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: To you before the close of day (TE LUCIS ANTE TERMINUM, plainsong Mode 8)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Nunc Dimittis with Faux-bourdons (H. Willan)
Salve Regina (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Robert Parsons)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

Now for the story. The best way to tell it is in the words of our esteemed leader, Dr. Van Quinn.

[I received] a phone call from a young man I didn’t know. He wanted to know exactly when the first Compline would be held. He and his girlfriend of 2 ½ years had their first date at Compline. He wanted to come back to Chapel Hill to propose to her in the church after the first service.


My friend Tom and I were the only two left in the church after the service was over. We noticed the couple still seated in the pews. They stood, left the pew, and he stopped her in the aisle. He got down on one knee ... and I presume he proposed to her during that time. After what seemed like a long time, he finally stood up, and they kissed.

And I squeed all the way out of the church, where I saw Van and told him immediately the happy news. The couple eventually made their way out of the church, and Van and Tammy were chatting with them and congratulating them.

To continue Van's words: "We have little sense of the impact of what we do on Sunday evenings on those sitting out there in the dark."

It was certainly the story of the evening.

Tom also blogged on this, and you can read his thoughts here.

Congratulations to the happily engaged couple.

No comments: