Monday, September 14, 2009

13 September - Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 19

I have three lists for you here. I will list the Compline pieces in a separate post.

My turn for cantoring the 7:45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception came up yesterday. Here is the music, including organ voluntary music my friend Jane played. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover), unless otherwise specified.

Sunday 7:45 am Mass: Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Prelude: Improvisation on Vexilla Regis prodeunt
Hymn in Procession: 506, Immortal, invisible, God only wise (ST. DENIO)
Gloria: 254, Congregational Mass (J. Lee)
Psalm: Psalm 116 (M. Guimont)
Gospel Acclamation: 261 (A.G. Murray)
Offertory: 791, Lift high the cross (CRUCIFER)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: 228, 229, 231, 232, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion: Andante cantabile from Prélude, Fugue et Variation (Op. 18, C. Franck)
Recessional Hymn: 698, Take up your cross (O WALY WALY)
Postlude: Allegretto ma non troppo from Prélude, Fugue et Variation (Op. 18, C. Franck)

I'm currently listening to a recording of The 15th Station's latest podcast recording session, and they discussed the lifting of the liturgical Swine flu measures. Interestingly enough, at Immaculate Conception, they just imposed such restrictions. I figured something was up when I saw a bottle of hand sanitiser next to the cantor podium. Then Fr. Dan announced that measures would be taken to prevent the spread of Swine flu, including no longer sharing the cup, hand-holding at the Lord's Prayer would be actively discouraged (yay!!! I've always hated that rather stupid, and IMHO, meaningless gesture), and the Sign of Peace would be eliminated. (I assume this will also include what I perceive to be the Southern tradition of greeting everyone before the Mass begins.) As Fr. Dan was talking about only distributing the bread, I immediately remembered one of the iPadre's podcasts. (I'm far behind there, still playing catch-up.) I believe it was Episode #144. I kept wanting to hear a catechesis moment, that when receiving the Eucharist under one species, Christ is present, and is received whole and entire, body and blood, soul and Divinity. (I may have recalled it wrong, so if my Eucharistic theology is skewed, please forgive me!) But it never came. It was a very quick announcement at the beginning of Mass, however.

I've noticed other churches in the area have taken some measures to prevent the spread of Swine flu. A couple of churches that I know of have bottles of hand sanitiser at every entrance of their sanctuaries. Most have urged the people to exercise caution and to be mindful of those whose immune systems may be compromised.

I've gone on long enough. Onwards to my next list.



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Poco allegretto, Andantino, and Poco lento from 7 Pieces in C Major and Minor from L'Organiste (C. Franck)
Processional Hymn: 409, The spacious firmament on high (CREATION)
Gloria: S-277, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Sequence Hymn: 575, Before thy throne, O God, we kneel (VATER UNSER IM HIMMELREICH)
Offertory Hymn: 675, Take up your cross, the Savior said (BOURBON)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Communion Anthem: A Prayer of St. Richard of Chichester (L.J. White)
Recessional Hymn: 522, Glorious things of thee are spoken (AUSTRIA)
Postlude: Trumpet Tune (J. Clarke)

And the birthday celebrations continue. I walked into the Parish Hall, and everyone present sang me Happy Birthday, and made me blow out yet another candle on a little cake. It is nice to be remembered, I'll have to admit. Thanks everyone for a memorable birthday weekend! :)




Episcopal Centre at Duke University, where I played the usual 4:00 pm service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982 unless otherwise indicated.

Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Improvisation on Engleberg
Processional Hymn: 477, All praise to thee, for thou, O King divine (ENGLEBERG)
Gloria: S-278 (Mathias)
Psalm: Ps 116, recited
Sequence Hymn: 490, I want to walk as a child of the light (HOUSTON)
Offertory Hymn: 495, Hail, thou once despised Jesus (IN BABILONE)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion Hymn: WLP 827, O Lord hear my pray'r (Taizé)
Recessional Hymn: 522, Glorious things of thee are spoken (AUSTRIA)
Postlude: Hmmm. Well, considering Karen had mentioned in her sermon the words to "Will you come and follow me" (The Summons), I contemplated playing it as a postlude. Unfortunately, I didn't bring the music with me (and I know it to "Kelvingrove") and the version in Wonder, Love, and Praise is completely unfamiliar to me. So I kind of picked at it, but it didn't really sound all that much like music. *shrugs*

Thanks to St. Philip's in Durham for providing the dinner!

No comments: