Monday, September 21, 2009

20 September - Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 20

I have three lists for you here. I will list the Compline pieces in a separate post.

Again, I cantored the 7:45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception yesterday. Here is the music, not including organ voluntary music my friend Jane played. (Admittedly, I'd forgotten to list them, but I know she played some Bach chorales. I'm just not sure which ones.) Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover), unless otherwise specified.

Sunday 7:45 am Mass: Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Hymn in Procession: 606, How firm a foundation (FOUNDATION)
Gloria: 254, Congregational Mass (J. Lee)
Psalm: Psalm 54 (M. Guimont)
Gospel Acclamation: 261 (A.G. Murray)
Offertory: 771, Jerusalem, my happy home (LAND OF REST)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: 228, 229, 231, 232, Community Mass (Proulx)
Recessional Hymn: 719, For the healing of the nations (ST. THOMAS (Wade))

Here's a sad thing. This past weekend was the current DM's last before he leaves for his new job in Milwaukee. He'd served the parish for the past ... probably around five years or thereabouts, I think. It was announced at the Saturday 5:30 pm Vigil Mass that it was his last weekend there, and that a farewell concert would take place the following evening. People showed their appreciation towards him, and that was fine and wonderful.

However, at the 7:45 am Mass, there was absolutely no mention of him or his many years of service, nor was there any mention of the concert. Similarly, there was absolutely no mention of thanks or acknowledgement in the bulletin.

*sigh*

I know this is a public forum, and perhaps I'd get in trouble for expressing this, but given the history of the relationship of music and this parish, this deeply disappoints me, but it doesn't surprise me.

Life goes on.




St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Prière à Notre Dame from Suite Gothique (L. Boëllmann)
Processional Hymn: 408, Sing praise to God who reigns above (MIT FREUDEN ZART)
Gloria: S-277, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Ps 1, Simplfied Anglican Chant
Sequence Hymn: 660, O Master let me walk with thee (MARYTON)
Offertory Hymn: 448, O love, how deep, how broad, how high (DEUS TUORUM MILITUM)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Communion Anthem: A Man blest no doubt from Nine Psalm Tunes for Archbishop Parker's Psalter (T. Tallis)
Communion Hymn: Gather Comprehensive 726, Make me a channel of your peace (S. Temple)
Recessional Hymn: 477, All praise to thee, for thou, O King divine (ENGLEBERG)
Postlude: Choral from Suite Gothique (L. Boëllmann)

The choir sang the anthem a cappella, and they did a *wonderful* job! I was so incredibly proud of them!

Our next anthem will be John Blow's "Let My Prayer Come Up."




Episcopal Centre at Duke University, where I played the usual 4:00 pm service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982 unless otherwise indicated.

Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Make me a channel of your peace (S. Temple setting)
Processional Hymn: 408, Sing praise to God who reigns above (MIT FREUDEN ZART)
Gloria: S-278 (Mathias)
Psalm: Ps 54, recited
Sequence Hymn: 438, Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord (WOODLANDS)
Offertory Hymn: 448, O love, how deep, how broad, how high (DEUS TUORUM MILITUM)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion Hymn: WLP 831, Ubi caritas et amor (Taizé)
Recessional Hymn: 366, Holy God, we praise thy Name (v. 1-4; GROSSER GOTT)
Postlude: Choral from Suite Gothique (L. Boëllmann), adapted for the one-manual instrument that lives in the Episcopal Centre.

Thanks to St. Luke's in Durham for providing the dinner!

No comments: