Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Giving up Facebook for Lent?


I noticed that some of my friends and relatives are planning to give up Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and other social interaction networks for Lent. Some are planning to give up using the Internet during this time as well. Fr Roderick Vonhögen blogged on this, and provided a couple of useful links to those who are considering giving up these things for Lent. I suggest you give them a read and follow some of the tips given, particularly in the CNET article. Changing your photo to read something like "Giving Up Facebook for Lent" would probably be the most effective way of letting your f-list know you're fasting from Facebook as the status lines go away a week after you've set them. At least on Myspace, the status lines will stay until you change them.

Read Fr Roderick's post here. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this trend. This will be cross-posted to my LJ, and will get posted automagically to my Facebook page.

BTW - I won't be giving up Facebook or blogging for Lent. I generally put my music lists on my blog, and Facebook became a tool in my work. As far as I'm concerned, being able to connect with old friends was the bonus.

No comments: