Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mass of the Resurrection for Jon Michael Bernardo (1982-2009)

This morning, I sang at the Funeral Mass for Miko Bernardo. This was particularly sad. I didn't know Miko, but I had an acquaintance with his uncles and aunts, the Gadrinabs and the Estradas. Miko was only 26 years old. He was a third-year medical student at Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine, and was in the Dominican Republic for a clinical rotation when he was involved in a car accident. I felt badly for his mum and his family because Miko's father, who was also a doctor, had died from I believe a brain tumour a few years ago, and now his son, who wanted to follow in his footsteps, had his chance taken from him too soon.

I will list the music from Miko's funeral Mass here, and then I'll write my thoughts on Filipino funeral traditions in another blog post. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover).

Prelude: Hindi kita malilimutan ("I will never forget you"; M. V. Francisco)
Opening Hymn: 524, Holy God we praise Thy name (GROSSER GOTT)
Psalm: 31, Psalm 23 Paraphrase, Shepherd Me, O God (M. Haugen)
Gospel Acclamation: 258, Celtic Alleluia (F. O'Carroll/C. Walker)
Offertory: 649, You are mine (D. Haas)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: 166-171, Mass of Creation (M. Haugen)
Communion Hymn: 828, I am the bread of life (S. Toolan)
Communion Meditations:Final Commendation: 862, Saints of God (S. Janco)
Closing Hymn: 528, Joyful, joyful, we adore you (HYMN TO JOY)

Members from the NC Filipino Choir joined with IC's Resurrection Choir to sing for this Mass.

No comments: