Thursday, January 8, 2009

6 January - The Epiphany of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Sigh. Late again.

I just had one service at St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played a 6.00 pm service. I had reduced ranks for the choir as people were still out on holiday, sick, or couldn't get off work. There are a lot of wonderful choices for Epiphany-themed choir anthems, but ... well, one of my wishes for 2009 is for the choir to grow. I love my people, but it would be lovely to add more voices to our merry group. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Epiphany of Our Lord Jesus Christ: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Wie Schön leuchtet der Morgenstern (J.C. Bach)
Pro: 497, How bright appears the Morning Star (WIE SCHÖN LEUCHTET)
Gloria: S-278 (W. Mathias)
Psalm: Psalm 72 (Guimont; text from BCP p. 685)
Seq: 128, We three kings of Orient are (THREE KINGS OF ORIENT)
Off: 616, Hail to the Lord's Anointed (ES FLOG EIN KLEINS WALDVÖGELEIN)
Sanctus: S-128 (W. Mathias)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: S-165 (W. Mathias)
Comm: 124, What star is this, with beams so bright (PUER NOBIS; adapt. Prætorius)
Re: 135, Songs of thankfulness and praise (SALZBURG)
Postlude: Wo Gott zum Haus (J.C. Bach)

Well, I guess it was a J.C. Bach kind of day.

Next Sunday (Baptism of Our Lord Jesus Christ), the Episcopal Centre at Duke University will be starting their Sunday afternoon services once again. Because UNC starts a bit later than Duke, Compline at the Chapel of the Cross won't be starting up until the 18th January (Second Sunday after Epiphany).

Oh, and I'll have quite a list for next Sunday's services as well, since I've been asked to sub for the Saturday Vigil Mass at Immaculate Conception Church, plus have drawn the cantoring duties for the Sunday 7.45 am Mass. So I'll get my fill of Jesus Christ's Baptism ...

No comments: