Sunday, October 31, 2010

31 October - Twenty-Third Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 26

For once, I'm posting this on time. :)

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Twenty-Third Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Composition on a Plainsong (John Dunstable); Gloria Tibi Trinitas: Two Parts on a Rownd Time (Thomas Tallis)
Processional Hymn: 546, Awake, my soul, stretch every nerve (SIROË)
Gloria: S-277, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Psalm 119 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 704, O thou who camest from above (HEREFORD)
Offertory Hymn: 449, O love, how deep, how broad, how high (DEO GRACIAS)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Communion Anthem: Ubi caritas et amor (arr. Alan Bullard)
Recessional Hymn: 411, O bless the Lord, my soul (ST. THOMAS (Williams))
Postlude: Agincourt Hymn (J. Dunstable)

I decided to shake things up a bit and use the alternate setting of "O love, how deep, how broad, how high" in today's service. The choir members admitted to me that they liked this setting better for that text. I'm not sure how the PIPs handled it though, but one person did tell me that he was thrown off by the different hymntune. I heard the congregation pretty clearly for the Sequence Hymn, which is new in tune and text for them. But it seems to me they handle anything written by S.S. Wesley pretty well.

Happy All Hallows' Eve to everyone!

No comments: