Tuesday, July 27, 2010

25 July - Ninth Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 12

I have three lists for you today. These lists were for services from last Sunday.



I cantored the 7.45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. Admittedly, I didn't write down the music Jane had played as organ voluntaries, but I can tell you that for prelude/postlude, she played music from Louis-Nicolas Clérambault and completely improvised the Communion voluntary. As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Processional Hymn: 662, Christ is made the sure foundation (ST. THOMAS)
Gloria: 176, New Mass for Congregations (C.T. Andrews)
Psalm: Psalm 138 (Guimont)
Gospel Acclamation: 177, Mode VI; Verse to Tone 6F ("You have received a Spirit of adoption, through which we cry, Abba, Father.")
Offertory Hymn: 681, Lord, Whose Love in Humble Service (IN BABILONE)
Sanctus: 180, People's Mass
Memorial Acclamation, Amen: 181-182, Danish Amen Mass
Agnus Dei: 184, Agnus Dei XVIII (in English)
Recessional: 642 Jesus, lead the way (ROCHELLE)



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Ninth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Three settings of Vater Unser in Himmelreich (chorale by J.S. Bach; J. G. Walther, J.-P. Sweelinck)
Processional Hymn: 47, On this day, the first of days (GOTT SEI DANK)
Trisagion: S-100, New Plainsong (Hurd)*
Psalm: Psalm 85 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 615, Thy kingdom come! on bended knee (ST FLAVIAN)
Offertory Hymn: 341, For the bread which you have broken (OMNI DIE)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert/Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Communion Hymn: 711, Seek ye first the kingdom of God (SEEK YE FIRST)
Recessional Hymn: 518, Christ is made the sure foundation (WESTMINSTER ABBEY)
Postlude: Improvisation on Westminster Abbey

* The supply priest du jour, Fr. Berry Parsons, had questioned me after the service why we did the Trisagion. My response was that it was by request from the previous Vicar. He very strongly suggested that we switch back to the Gloria because Trisagion is more suggestive of Lent. Admittedly, I agree with him, and would be more than happy to make the switch back. (Note: Fr. Berry is an organist by training and education, so I would definitely take what he says seriously: he'd been at it for longer than I've been alive. :) )

I would like to get the opinion of my organist friends in cyberspace: At what tempo do you usually take the Sanctus from Schubert's Deutsche Messe? Hymnal 1982 gives a MM of quarter=72. I've been told taking it at that tempo makes it sound like a dirge. Comments, feedback, etc. welcomed. Thanks!



I played the 4:00 pm service for Carol Woods, which is organised by Chapel of the Cross. The music list would generally resemble the 8.00 am summer morning Rite I services.

The music list:

Ninth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: The Lord's Prayer (A. H. Malotte)
Processional Hymn: 680, O God, our help in ages past (ST. ANNE)
Psalm: Psalm 138(recited)
Gradual Hymn: 660, O Master let me walk with thee (MARYTON)
Offertory Voluntary: Improvisation on "Seek Ye First"
Communion Voluntary: Vater Unser in Himmelreich (chorale by J.S. Bach; J. G. Walther)
Recessional Hymn: 652, Dear Lord and Father of mankind (REST)
Postlude: Vater Unser in Himmelreich (J.-P. Sweelinck)

This was the first time the Rev. John Keith was at Carol Woods, so there were a few differences ... all verses were sung ... there were no bulletins from the 8.00 am HE Rite I from the church.... He had brought his wife along with him and introduced himself to the people who were there. I think he was well-received.

This lot certainly got immersed in "Our Father in Heaven" concepts: from the Gospel reading to the sermon to the voluntary music I played. Just on a whim, I decided to play the Malotte "Lord's Prayer" as a prelude. I'd received a request from a person at St Joe's for us to do that as our setting of the Lord's Prayer... I'm resisting because when I played it as prelude, to me, it had the feeling of more as voluntary music than as music one would use during worship. Maybe I feel this way because I did not grow up with this piece. It's as foreign to me as ... a Romanian lullaby.

As for the recessional hymn: I know that one much better to Repton. This one... it's very unfamiliar to me, so I sight-read it. I guess I must have been convincing because Fr. John had complimented me on the way I played all the hymns. He said he felt the people there would know that particular hymntune better. And they did sing the hymn pretty well.

No comments: