Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Gee ... it's Ghee

Having experienced what a wonderful flavour the ghee added to the khichuri I made yesterday, I decided that I had to have some ghee for myself. I figured the cheapest way for me to get that would be to buy the butter and make it myself.

It's not that difficult. And it uses one of my favourite cooking methods - put it in the pot and forget about it.

All I needed was 1 lb unsalted butter and my strong-bottomed pot. I placed the butter in the pot, turned the heat on simmer, and let it go until I smelled a lovely nutty smell in the kitchen. (I think it went for a little over an hour ... perhaps it was closer to 1.5 hours ...)

There were three layers: a foam layer, a clear, golden liquid layer, and a solid layer on the bottom.

I want the clear golden layer - that is the ghee ("clarified butter"). I filtered it through a triple layer of cheesecloth into a bowl, and then transferred the contents to a Mason jar. I allowed the contents to cool before I capped it.

It should keep indefinitely at room temperature as long as it's covered and moisture is kept away from it.

You can cook with it, but I'll probably just use it to flavour food. The butter I used was the 365 brand from Whole Foods.

No comments: