Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Bach Birthday #324

As an organist, I would be quite remiss if I didn't acknowledge that today is the 324th anniversary of Johann Sebastian Bach's birth.

I suppose this would be a good place to publicise this: next Sunday, 29 March, at 7.00 pm, the Senior Choir at Chapel of the Cross, accompanied by chamber orchestra, will be presenting a Solemn Evensong featuring Cantata 131, Aus der Tiefe.


Featured works include:
  • Johann Sebastian Bach: Cantata 131, Aus der Tiefe (Bach’s earliest cantata?)
  • Orlando Gibbons: Magnificat and Nunc dimittis (“Short Service”)
  • William Byrd: Miserere mei
  • Johann Sebastian Bach: Aus tiefer Not (Klavierübung, III)
Free (donations accepted) and open to the public.

The Chapel of the Cross is located beside the Morehead Planetarium at UNC Chapel Hill. For further information, call 919-929-2193 or email Van Quinn.

Because of my position with St Joseph's, I no longer sing with the Senior Choir; however, you can bet that I'll be there to listen and to silently cheer my fellow choristers as they present this wonderful evening of music.

A very happy birthday indeed to Mr Bach.

How are you celebrating Bach's birthday?

No comments: