Tuesday, March 3, 2009

1 March - First Sunday in Lent

My co-conspirator, Tyler, aka fission, posted his lists for Lent I. Here are mine.


St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

First Sunday in Lent: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Pro: 150, Forty days and forty nights (AUS DER TIEFE RUFE ICH)
Kyrie: S-91 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Psalm: Psalm 25 (Tone II.1)
Seq: 121, Christ when for us you were baptised (CAITHNESS)
Off: 448, O love, how deep, how broad, how high (DEUS TUORUM MILITUM)
Sanctus: S-124 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: S-161 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Communion Motet: Call to Remembrance (R. Farrant)
Communion Hymn: 140, Wilt thou forgive that sin, where I begun (DONNE)
Re: 147, Now let us all with one accord (BOURBON)

This is a good chanting congregation! They picked up Tone II.1 very very readily. I think next week, we'll chant the psalm all together, and then the week after, we'll try chanting it responsively by whole verse, starting with the lectern side of the church. That will be where I'll have the choir leading the people on the (formerly) gospel side of the church.

There was also much squee over Hymn 140, with several people approaching me, telling me it was their absolutely favourite hymn. It's also one of my favourites as well.

Episcopal Centre at Duke University

During Lent, there will be no Opening Hymn; however, I will still play a "quiet" prelude before the quiet procession. So I think I'll have to dust off some of my more quieter, more reflective piano pieces for the purpose.

First Sunday in Lent: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Improvisation on Donne
The Great Litany: S-67
Psalm: Psalm 25 (recited)
Seq: 121, Christ when for us you were baptised (CAITHNESS)
Off: 448, O love, how deep, how broad, how high (DEUS TUORUM MILITUM)
Sanctus: S-114 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: S-158 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Comm: 142 Lord who throughout these forty days (ST. FLAVIAN)
Re: 147, Now let us all with one accord (BOURBON)

I won't be playing postludes during Lent.

Compline at the Chapel of the Cross. We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

Lord, for Thy tender mercy's sake (Farrant; sung as Introit)
Psalm 4 & 31 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: Christ, mighty Saviour (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, plainsong Mode 7)
Nunc Dimittis (fauxbourdon, H. Willan)
Ave Regina Cælorum (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Tomas Luis de Victoria)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus. He improvised on "Christ, mighty Saviour".

No comments: