Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 September - 17th Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 18

Sorry for the huge delay in posting this. There are three music lists here from the two services I played last Sunday morning and afternoon, as well as the Compline service I sung in later on that evening.

Service #1: St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Prelude in b-flat minor (BWV 867; J. S. Bach)
Pro: 400, All creatures of our God and King (LASST UNS ERFREUEN)
Song of Praise: S-236 (Benedictus es, Domine; J. Rutter)*
Psalm: Psalm 149 (Barrett)
Seq: 440, Blessed Jesus, at thy word (LIEBSTER JESU)
Off: 174, At the Lamb's high feast we sing (SALZBURG)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Comm: Gather Comprehensive 625, Where charity and love prevail (CHRISTIAN LOVE)
Re: 376, Joyful, joyful we adore thee (HYMN TO JOY)
Postlude: Fuge fur Orgel manualiter (D. Ponder)**

* After an entire month of playing this as a prelude, this was the first Sunday we sang this as the Hymn of Praise. Well. At least we'll be doing this until Advent, so they have two months to get it right. I know it works as congregational song; I've experienced it personally at both St. Stephen's and Chapel of the Cross.

** Daniel Ponder (b. 1988) is currently a third-year student at UNC Chapel Hill, majoring in Music. He wants to go on for a Ph.D. in Musicology, and wants to be a university professor.

Service #2: Episcopal Centre at Duke University.

The Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Prelude in b-flat minor (BWV 867; J. S. Bach)
Pro: 400, All creatures of our God and King (LASST UNS ERFREUEN)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 149, recited
Seq: 440, Blessed Jesus, at thy word (LIEBSTER JESU)
Off: 174, At the Lamb's high feast we sing (SALZBURG)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion Hymn: WLP 831, Ubi Caritas (Taizé)
Re: 376, Joyful, joyful we adore thee (HYMN TO JOY)

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

Call to Remembrance (Farrant)
Psalms 91 and 134 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: Christ, mighty Saviour (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, plainsong Mode 7)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Nunc Dimittis with Faux-bourdons (H. Willan)
Salve Regina (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Robert Parsons)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

I volunteered to chant the chapter (Mt 11:28-30), and received compliments on how I chanted it. Van was overjoyed - it was evidence that I've overcome the laryngitis. Sure, my voice is still raspy, and I've lost my range, but at least, I can still sing.

No comments: