Thursday, September 4, 2008

31 August - 16th Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 17

Sorry for the huge delay in posting this. There are three music lists here from the two services I played last Sunday morning and afternoon, as well as the Compline service I sung in later on that evening.

Service #1: St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

The Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Prelude: Canticle 13: Glory to You (J. Rutter)*
Pro: 390, Praise to the Lord! the Almighty, the King of creation (LOBE DEN HERREN)
Trisagion: S-100 (New Plainsong Mass; Hurd)
Psalm: Psalm 105 (Guimont)
Seq: 484, Praise the Lord through every nation (WACHET AUF)
Off: 414, God, my King, thy might confessing (STUTTGART)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Comm: 711, Seek ye first the kingdom of God (SEEK YE FIRST)**
Re: 344, Lord, dismiss us with thy blessing (SICILIAN MARINERS)
Postlude: Largo Staccato from Voluntary IX (Op. 7; J. Stanley)

* I will be introducing a new piece of service music to this group. Well, new to this congregation, but not to me. So I'll use the old "saturation" strategy - S-236 will be my prelude for the rest of August. That way, by the time we get to September 7, when we change the service music once again, the congregation should be able to have it in their heads and sing this with gusto. (I hope.)

** We said good bye to a young man who has left for boarding school in Massachusetts. Luke Miggs, who is, I believe, 14 or 15 years old, took over the music ministry in an interim basis not long after Easter, 2006. (The story of what happened to St. Joseph's during that time isn't mine to tell however.) He is a very talented pianist, and I'm sure a bright future awaits him. He starts at the Andover Academy next week. As last Sunday was his last service with us before leaving for school, he played the piano for the Communion song. I'm sure that the people of St. Joseph's are grateful for Luke's ministry, and I for one wish him all the best.

He'll be back during school holidays, and I am hoping that he will want to play the piano during the time he visits home.

Service #2: Episcopal Centre at Duke University. This was the students' first service back, and attendance was excellent.

The Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist: Rite II
Pro: 390, Praise to the Lord! the Almighty, the King of creation (LOBE DEN HERREN)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 105, recited
Seq: 484, Praise the Lord through every nation (WACHET AUF)
Off: 414, God, my King, thy might confessing (STUTTGART)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion Hymn: WLP 831, Ubi Caritas (Taizé)
Re: 344, Lord, dismiss us with thy blessing (SICILIAN MARINERS)

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

O Lord, the maker of all thing (Anon., ca. 1548)
Psalms 31 and 134 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: To you before the close of day (TE LUCIS ANTE TERMINUM, Mode 8)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Salve Regina (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Robert Parsons)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

I was quite happy that I was able to sing the Parsons Ave Maria. The choir was working on this at the time I lost my voice. By the end of the Spring 2008 semester, the choir was singing this on a regular basis, and they sounded wonderful doing so.

No comments: