Monday, December 24, 2007

Some reflections on the Eve of Christmas

So here I am, sitting and relaxing before the next choir call that is to come at 9.30 pm for an 11.00 pm Christ Mass at Chapel of the Cross. It's been an interesting year thus far, and I find I do have a lot to be thankful for. Despite the fact that I've not been working in a lab since the middle of February, and that I still don't have a full-time job, I'm cognizant of the fact that I'm thankful that I have my life (having had a close call last July in Toronto), I have good support from my friends and family, I do have a part-time teaching position with Campbell University's RTP Campus through their Extended Campus Education program. I'm still healthy, I have a roof over my head, enough food to put on the table.

All in all, I really can't complain. However, I will ask your prayers for a few people:

1. Desiree Zaballero. She is due to undergo a kidney transplant at St. Luke's Medical Centre in Quezon City, Philippines next month. She is definitely a fighter, and this transplant will give her the chance to lead a normal, healthy life. She was the focus at this year's Misa de Gallo that the Filipino community celebrated at Immaculate Conception Church last Saturday (12/22/07), and I know the support from the local Filipino community was definitely appreciated.


2. Orlando Torneros (pictured on the left) is my sister-in-law's father. The Torneros' as well as my brother and his family decided to go on holiday at Lake Tahoe. Unfortunately, Tito Andy fell ill, and he ended up suffering pneumonia and a mild heart attack. The last I heard, Tita Beny is trying to find a place to stay over there as they don't want to move Tito Andy back to Sacramento just yet. I just hope he pulls through, so please pray for his recovery.



3. Eric Cabrera (pictured with my cousin Trisha) is the 1 1/2-year old son of my cousin, Beverly. He was recently diagnosed with a brain tumour. Luckily, his twin, Dylan, was not similarly affected. Understandably, Beverly, as well as her parents, Tito Ver and Tita Tessie (my mum's youngest brother and his wife, respectively) are shell-shocked over this, but hopefully with prayers and support, Eric will be able to pull through this.

I hope you are all well. Happy Christmas to everyone!

No comments: