Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Congee Queen!!!

Yesterday (3 July), I had the pleasure of eating at the absolute best Chinese restaurant I have ever eaten in. It beats all of the places I've eaten in NC by a million miles! They are Congee Queen, http://www.congeequeen.com/ , and their food is amazingly good. We started off with their Seafood Super Bowl Congee. I love the flavour, the texture, and I just couldn't stop eating it. Of course, me being Filipino, I wish they had patis-mansi on the side (fish sauce, has to be Filipino style, not the weaker and more sweet Thai style, and mansi is short for calamansi, Citrofortunella microcarpa, or Calamondin orange), but not having that definitely does not detract from the wonderful way they did their congee. A deep-fried dough object was served along with the congee. It was donut-like, without the powdered sugar. But somehow, it worked well with the congee.

We had a variety of other foods as well (Chef Special Fried Rice, Fried Thick Noodle with Shrimp and Shredded Pork, Shanghai style, Stir-Fried Beef with Broccoli, Stir-Fried Beef with Ginger and Green Onion, Deep-Fried Shrimp Wonton (excellent, by the way), Deep-Fried Pork Chop (also yum), and Spice-and-Pepper Salt Squid. There was hot tea a-flowing, which I found a little weak, but it was very helpful in aiding the digestion of all the oily foods. We ended it all with Taro Bubble Tea. Excellent bubble tea, runs heaps of rings around the concoction they called bubble tea that I had back in NC. Total yum!

We had 13 people at this dinner party (11 adults, two kids), and the food was more than sufficient - we took home leftovers.

Unfortunately, it appears this restaurant only exists in Toronto (two locations). I wish there was a Congee Queen near me. I guess after I leave Toronto, the best way for me to get my Congee Queen fix would be to go to the website and drool ...

No comments: