On Tuesday, June 14, the Cathedral Church of the Advent Choir stopped by Chapel of the Cross in Chapel Hill during a six-city tour that took them from Atlanta, GA to New York, NY. Singing under the direction of Dr. Stephen G. Schaeffer (the brother of Chapel of the Cross staffer Gretchen Jordan), the choir presented a wonderfully varied program. The church was choc-a-bloc full for this concert, which was really nice for a Tuesday evening, and this choir received a standing ovation, deservedly so.
I did live-Tweet this concert... I didn't intend to, but once I started Tweeting it, I just couldn't stop...
So as I had promised a couple of weeks ago... here is the concert program.
- Hide Me Under the Shadow of Thy Wings—John E. West (1863-1929)
- Hymn in Procession: Psalm 150 (Anglican Chant setting by George S. Talbot (1875-1918))
- Be Not Afraid—Knut Nystedt (b. 1915)
- Holy Manna—arr. John Carter (b. 1930)
- Set Me as a Seal—René Clausen (b. 1953)
- E'en So, Lord Jesus, Quickly Come—Paul Manz (1919-2009)
- Thou Shalt Know Him—Mark Sirett (b. 1952)
- Lux Aurumque—Eric Whitacre (b. 1970)
- Jesu, the Very Thought of Thee—arr. Paul Halley (b. 1952)
- Organ Solo (Charles M. Kennedy, organ): Choral, Op. 37, No. 4—Joseph Jongen (1873-1953)
- Motet: Ascendens Christus, Part I—Tomás Luis de Victoria (1548-1611)
- Anthem—Peter Bradley Adams (b. 1969)
- Motet: Ascendens Christus, Part II—Victoria
- God So Loved the World—Bob Chilcott (b. 1955)
- When I Survey the Wondrous Cross—Gilbert Martin (b. 1941)
- Give Me Jesus—arr. Larry L. Fleming (1936-2003)
- Go Tell It on the Mountain—arr. Roland M. Carter (b. 1942)
- Encore: Stars Fell on Alabama—Lyrics Mitchell Parish (1900-1993); Music Frank Perkins (1908-1988)