Sunday, July 3, 2011

19 June—Trinity Sunday

Yes, you saw that date right. 19 June. I will catch up, slowly but surely! And again, I repeat: better late than never, right? ;)



My first list is from the 7:45 a.m. Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover). My friend, Jane L., was behind the console.

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Trinity Sunday
Prelude: Free improvisation (Jane said it wasn't on any particular theme)
Opening Hymn: 474, Holy, Holy, Holy (NICAEA)
Gloria: Chant Mass, arr. by J. Lynch, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Psalm: 150, Daniel 3:52-56 (M. Guimont)
Gospel Acclamation: 263 (Hughes Alleluia in C)
Offertory: 472, How wonderful the Three-In-One (PROSPECT)
Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation: Chant Mass, arr. by J. Lynch, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Amen: Simple, three-note Amen (G-(G-A))
Agnus Dei: 312, Agnus Dei XVIII (in Latin)
Communion Voluntary: Wir glauben all' an einen Gott (BWV 740, attr. J.S. Bach)
Recessional: 479, O God, almighty Father (GOTT VATER SEI GEPRIESEN)
Postlude: Wir glauben all' an einen Gott (Samuel Scheidt)

If memory serves me right, this was Fr. Larry Hayes' first Sunday at ICC. I was impressed. His homily was very cerebral, very academic, and he would fit right in with a community that has a divinity school just down the street.



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Trinity Sunday: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Improvisation on Taizé Gloria
Processional: 370, I bind unto myself today (ST. PATRICK'S BREASTPLATE)
Gloria: Gloria No. 3 (Taizé)
Psalm: Canticle 13 (S-236; J. Rutter)
Sequence Hymn: 371, Thou, whose Almighty word (MOSCOW)
Offertory Anthem: Holy, holy, holy, Holy is the Lord (Schubert/Bullard)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert/Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Communion: 368, Holy Father, great Creator (REGENT SQUARE)
Recessional: 362, Holy, Holy, Holy (NICAEA)
Postlude: Improvisation on Nicaea

Well, I know I should be taking David Arcus' advice and try to improvise more during services. I decided to do that for prelude, especially since we were introducing a new setting of the Gloria. And on a whim, I thought of doing the same for postlude. And Nicaea has some good lines on which to improvise. At least, I think I made it sound like music...



My turn came up to play the the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross.

Trinity Sunday: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Improvisation on Nicaea
Processional Hymn: 362, Holy, Holy, Holy (NICAEA)
Psalm: Psalm 8, recited
Sequence Hymn: 367, Round the Lord in glory seated (RUSTINGTON)
Offertory: 315, Thou, who at thy first Eucharist didst pray (SONG 1)
Sanctus: S-125 Community Mass (R. Proulx)
Communion Voluntary: Three settings of Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr (A.N. Vetter, F. Zachau, J.G. Walther)
Recessional Hymn: 368, Holy Father, great Creator (REGENT SQUARE)
Postlude: Wir glauben all' an einen Gott (Samuel Scheidt)

I originally thought of doing one setting of Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr as prelude and the rest during Communion, but then I thought those pieces were short that if I did that, I might have to improvise during Communion. So why not just do them all during Communion and improvise on Nicaea as a prelude? After all, it seemed to work when I did it as a postlude at St. Joseph's.

Much to my surprise, I managed to produce something that sounded like music for eight minutes. It must have been pleasant because people came up to me after the service, asking me who wrote that lovely piece I played before the service. I hear that the more one improvises, the easier it gets. I hope that's right. Whenever I hear people like Van Quinn, Jane Lynch, and David Arcus improvise, I just sit and listen in awed silence. I can only aspire to be like them when I grow up...

No comments: