Saturday, June 18, 2011

12 June— Pentecost Sunday

So much for getting this list out on time. Ah well. Better late than never. :P



My first list is from the 7:45 a.m. Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover). My friend, Jane L., was behind the console.

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Pentecost Sunday Mass during the Day
Prelude: Adagio, Choral Varié from Variations on Veni Creator (M. Duruflé)
Opening Hymn: 465, Come down, O love divine (DOWN AMPNEY)
Gloria: Chant Mass, arr. by J. Lynch, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Psalm: 104, Psalm 104 (P. Lisicky)
Sequence Hymn: 464, Holy Spirit, Lord Divine (Mode I, chanted a cappella)
Gospel Acclamation: 263 (Hughes Alleluia in C)
Offertory: 461, O Holy Spirit, by whose breath (VENI CREATOR SPIRITUS)
Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation: Chant Mass, arr. by J. Lynch, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Amen: Simple, three-note Amen (G-(G-A))
Agnus Dei: 312, Agnus Dei XVIII (in Latin)
Communion Motet: O Lord, Give Your Holy Spirit (based on Tallis; arr. G. St. Clair)
Recessional: 469, Come, Holy Ghost (LAMBILLOTTE)
Postlude: Komm Gott, Schöpfer, Heiliger Geist (BWV 667, J. S. Bach)

We started praying the Nicene Creed according to the new Translation in Mass. They pasted it on the inside cover of the hymnal, which is a good thing. I'm glad they're introducing the new Mass texts to us gradually like this so that by the time it's fully implemented Advent 2011 (last Sunday in November), everyone will be used to it.



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Day of Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Komm, Heiliger Geist, Herr Gott (BuxWV 199, Dietrich Buxtehude)
Processional: 225, Hail thee, festival day! (SALVE FESTA DIES)
Psalm: Psalm 104 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 228, Holy Spirit, font of light (WEBBE)
Offertory Anthem: Go Ye into all the World (E. Butler)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Communion: 505, O Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God (O HEILIGER GEIST)
Recessional: 516, Come down, O Love divine (DOWN AMPNEY)
Postlude: Adagio-Allegro moderato, Voluntary in D Major (Op. 6, No. 6; J. Stanley)



I played the 4.00 pm service for Carol Woods which was organised by the Chapel of the Cross. It is always a pleasure playing for these folks, and many came up to me after the service to thank me for my music. They'll be hearing more of me since I'll be playing summer services there.

The music list:

Day of Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Komm, heiliger Geist, Herre Gott (A. Armsdorf)
Processional: 531, O Spirit of the living God (MELCOMBE)
Psalm: Psalm 104 (recited)
Offertory: 516, Come down, O Love divine (DOWN AMPNEY)
Communion: Komm, Heiliger Geist, Herr Gott (BuxWV 199, Dietrich Buxtehude)
Recessional: 511, Holy Spirit, ever living (ABBOT'S LEIGH)
Postlude: Komm, heiliger Geist, Herre Gott (F.W. Zachau)

Admittedly: the Buxtehude didn't really work all that well on the piano, but I managed. Somehow...

For the next couple of months, I'll be bouncing between Carol Woods and Chapel of the Cross, so I'll be having my Chapel Hill fix. I will try to post these lists in a more timely fashion. So don't be surprised if I post my new lists tomorrow evening. :)

No comments: