Sunday, August 8, 2010

8 August - Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost - Proper 14

Two lists for you today.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Sinfonia from Cantate 156 (J.S. Bach)
Processional Hymn: 596, Judge eternal, throned in splendor (KOMM, O KOMM DU GEIST DES LEBENS)
Trisagion: S-100, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Psalm: Psalm 50 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 317, This is the hour of banquet and of song (MORESTEAD)
Offertory Hymn: 709, O God of Bethel, by whose hand (DUNDEE)
Sanctus: S-130, Deutsche Messe (Schubert/Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-169, My flesh is food indeed (Urwin)
Communion Hymn: 699, Jesus, lover of my soul (ABERYSTWYTH)
Recessional Hymn: 637, How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord (LYONS)
Postlude: Rigaudon (A. Campra)



I played the 4:00 pm service for Carol Woods, which is organised by Chapel of the Cross. The music list would generally resemble the 8.00 am summer morning Rite I services.

The music list:

Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Improvisation on Leoni
Processional Hymn: 401, The God of Abraham praise (LEONI)
Psalm: Psalm 82(recited)
Offertory Hymn: 707, Take my life and let it be (HOLLINGSIDE)
Communion Voluntary: Sinfonia from Cantate 156 (J.S. Bach)
Recessional Hymn: 636, How firm a foundation (FOUNDATION)
Postlude: Rigaudon (A. Campra)

I've been getting a bit more daring (for me, anyway) as far as improvisation is concerned. (Thanks for the inspiration, David Arcus!) I guess it must be paying off: a couple of people approached me after the service and told me they really liked what I did with the prelude piece. :)

No comments: