Thursday, December 10, 2009

6 December - Second Sunday of Advent

It figures that I'd be late for this one. Better late than never, eh?

Here are my lists.


I played the 7.45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Second Sunday of Advent
Prelude: Creator of the Stars of Night (D.N. Johnson)
Processional Hymn: 321, On Jordan's Bank (WINCHESTER NEW)
Psalm: 124, Psalm 126 (Haugen)
Gospel Acclamation: 261 (Murray)
Offertory Hymn: 318, People, look East (BESANÇON CAROL)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: 300, 301, 302; Land of Rest Mass
Agnus Dei: 312, Agnus Dei XVIII
Communion Hymn: 328, My soul in stillness waits (Haugen)
Recessional/Postlude: Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland (J. Pachelbel)




St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982 unless otherwise noted.

Second Sunday of Advent: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Comfort, Comfort Ye My People (P. Manz)
Processional Hymn: WLP 724, People, look East (BESANÇON CAROL)
Trisagion: S-102 (Archangelsky)
Canticle: S-248, Canticle 16, The Song of Zechariah (Plainsong, Tone 8)
Sequence Hymn: 75, There's a voice in the wilderness crying (ASCENSION)
Offertory Hymn: LEVAS II 11, Prepare ye the way of the Lord (J.E. Moore, Jr.)
Sanctus: S-114, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: S-158, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Communion Hymn: 67, Comfort, comfort ye my people (PSALM 42)
Recessional Hymn: 53, Once he came in blessing (GOTTES SOHN IST KOMMEN)
Postlude: Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland (J. Pachelbel)




Advent Lessons and Carols at the Episcopal Centre at Duke University. Now that was fun. I had a flute, guitar, and a bassoon to accompany the lovely little 3-stop Holtkamp that lives at the Episcopal Centre. Kudos to Alison, David, and Daniel for the wonderful job they did!

A festive banquet and Lyn Roast ... erm, Hymn Sing followed. Boy am I glad my sight-reading skills have improved since I started living the life of a church musician. They came in very handy during the Hymn Sing!

I'm just going to list the readings and the hymns we did during the Lessons and Carols.

25, O Gracious Light (THE EIGHTH TUNE)

Genesis 3:1-15
60, Creator of the Stars of Night (CONDITOR ALME SIDERUM)

Isaiah 40:1-11
67, Comfort, comfort ye my people (PSALM 42)

Jeremiah 31:31-34
509, Spirit divine, attend our prayers (NUN DANKET ALL UND BRINGET EHR)

Isaiah 6:1-11
74, Blest be the King whose coming is in the name of God! (VALET WILL ICH DIR GEBEN)

Isaiah 35:1-10
65, Prepare the way, O Zion (BEREDEN VAEG FOER HERRAN)

Isaiah 7:10-15
54, Saviour of the Nations, come (NUN KOMM DER HEIDEN HEILAND)

Isaiah 11:1-9
66, Come, thou long expected Jesus (STUTTGART)

Zephaniah 3:14-18
57, Lo! He comes with clouds descending (HELMSLEY)

Luke 1:26-38
56, O come, O come Emmanuel (VENI VENI EMMANUEL)

102, Once in royal David's city (IRBY)

This was my last service at the Episcopal Centre at Duke. It's been wonderful serving with them for the past couple of years. I wish them all the luck and good tidings.

No comments: