Wednesday, December 23, 2009

13 December - Third Sunday of Advent

It shouldn't be such a surprise that I am so horrifically late with these lists.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played my usual 10.30 am service. As usual, numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982 unless otherwise noted.

Third Sunday of Advent: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Improvisation on Besançon
Processional Hymn: 59, Hark, a thrilling voice is sounding (MERTON)
Trisagion: S-102 (Archangelsky)
Canticle: S-213, Canticle 9, The First Song of Isaiah (Plainsong, Tone 3)
Sequence Hymn: 76, On Jordan's bank the Baptist's cry (WINCHESTER NEW)
Offertory Hymn: WLP 724, People, look East (BESANÇON CAROL)
Sanctus: S-114, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: S-158, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Communion Anthem: Rejoice in the Lord alway (H. Willan)
Communion Hymn: 679, Surely it is God who saves me (THOMAS MERTON)
Recessional Hymn: 72, Hark! the glad sound! the Savior comes (RICHMOND)
Postlude: Vom Himmel Hoch (J.G. Walther)

I remember going into wibble mode because I'd decided at the last minute to play a 5-minute improvisation on "People, look East". Somehow, I managed, and a couple of people complimented me on my improvisation during the Fellowship Hour.

At least I know I can do this. :)




I was supposed to have played the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross; however, because the Parish Choir was going to sing two anthems that had to be accompanied, Van Quinn decided to play and asked that I sing with the choir. So I sang alto for this group. It was such a treat to listen to Van play once again ... he's been doing this for so long, despite one being unable to see the altar from the organ console, he still timed his improvs exactly.

Third Sunday of Advent: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland (BWV 659; J.S. Bach)
Processional Hymn: 74, Blest be the King (VALET WILL ICH DIR GEBEN)
Hymn at the Lighting of the Advent Wreath: 56, O come, O come, Emmanuel (vs. 5-6; VENI, VENI, EMMANUEL)
Canticle: Canticle 9 (recited)
Sequence Hymn: 640, Watchmen, tell us of the night (ABERYSTWYTH)
Offertory Anthem: Rejoice in the Lord alway ("The Bell Anthem"; H. Purcell, using his "Bell Symphony" as introduction), followed by an improvisation on that theme.
Sanctus: S-124, New Plainsong Mass (D. Hurd)
Communion Anthem: How beautiful are the feet of Him (G. Handel), followed by an improvisation on that theme.
Communion Hymn: 67, Comfort, comfort ye my people (PSALM 42)
Recessional Hymn: 73, The King shall come when morning dawns (ST STEPHEN)
Postlude: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (BWV 645; JS Bach)

No comments: