Thursday, December 10, 2009

29 November - First Sunday of Advent

I am so so far behind! I haven't really blogged regularly, and I've neglected both this blog as well as my LiveJournal blog.

On this new Liturgical Year, I promise to do better.

Really.

Promise.

Here are my lists.

My turn came up for cantoring the 7.45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. As usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: First Sunday of Advent
Prelude: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (BWV 645; JS Bach)
Opening Hymn: 323, Come, O long expected Jesus (STUTTGART)
Psalm: Psalm 25 (Guimont)
Gospel Acclamation: 261 (Murray)
Off: 327, When the King shall come again (GAUDEAMUS PARITER)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: 300, 301, 302; Land of Rest Mass
Agnus Dei: 312, Agnus Dei XVIII
Comm: Improvisation on Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland
Postlude: Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland (BWV 661; JS Bach)

After the Mass, a couple of people approached us and thanked us for the music. One even pointed out he was grateful to hear the Bach pieces. I thought, thanks ... now I have a hard act to follow. I played the 7.45 am Mass for Advent II. That list will be going up soon.




St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

First Sunday of Advent: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Improvisation on Veni, veni, Emmanuel
Processional Hymn: 57, Lo! he comes, with clouds descending (HELMSLEY)
Trisagion: S-102 (Archangelsky)
Psalm: Psalm 25 (Plainsong, Tone VIII.1)
Sequence Hymn: 61, 'Sleepers, wake!' A voice astounds us (WACHET AUF)
Offertory Hymn: LEVAS II 14, Soon and very soon (A. Crouch)
Sanctus: S-114, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: S-158, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Communion Anthem: Wachet auf! (F Mendelssohn), followed by an improvisation on the theme when I noticed people were still at the Communion Rail after the choir sang this piece.
Recessional Hymn: 596, Judge eternal, throned in splendor (KOMM, O KOMM DU GEIST DES LEBENS)
Postlude: Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (JG Walther)

Yes, you read that right: Holy Eucharist Rite I. We'll be doing that for the rest of Advent.

I received compliments for the choir anthem—the German pronunciation was perfect. Many thanks to Maria D for all her help! :)

No comments: