Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Compline at Chapel of the Cross, Chapel Hill, NC - 11.22.2009

Compline at Chapel of the Cross.

We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

Lord, for Thy tender mercy's sake (Farrant)
Psalm 91 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: Christ, mighty Saviour (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, plainsong Mode 7)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Nunc Dimittis with Faux-bourdons (H. Willan)
Salve Regina (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Josquin Desprez)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

This will be the last Sunday the Salve Regina is sung. Starting next week, we will begin chanting the Alma Redemptoris Mater as we begin the Advent season.

2 comments:

Scelata said...

Sounds lovely.
I think Hurd's setting Of Christ Mighty Savior, (for which I notice you substitute the chant, no complaints there!) is one of the glories of contemporary congregational writing, simple, elegant, beautiful, and quite moving; a really excellent marriage of the moods of both the text and tune.
I don't comment much anymore, but I read your blog all the time, and really enjoy, (albeit enviously!) the programs you list.
Have a blessed Advent!

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

Lyn F. said...

Thanks so very much! :) I haven't been all that faithful about updating my blog, but at least Tyler's getting a bit more involved with posting.

Seeing his music lists makes me optimistic--at least there are some Catholic churches who do care about programming quality music for the Mass!

Keep reading. And I wish you a very blessed Advent! :)