Sunday, October 30, 2011

30 October—Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost (Proper 26)

It's equally fitting that my second post after a long time away is a music list from my services earlier in the morning.

Here are two lists.



My turn came for cantoring the 7:45 a.m. Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover). My friend, Jane L., was behind the console.

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Thirty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time
Prelude: Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott (BuxWV 184; Dieterich Buxtehude)
Opening Hymn: 493, The works of the Lord are created in wisdom (KREMSER)Gloria: Misa Luna, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Psalm: 129, Ps. 131 (D. Haas, with verses chanted to Psalm Tone VI)
Gospel Acclamation: 262, Joyful Alleluia (H Hughes)
Offertory: 572, For the Beauty of the Earth (DIX)
Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation: Mass of Light, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Amen, Agnus Dei: Mass of Creation, using the words from the new Roman Missal
Communion Voluntary: Improvisation on Sanctus XVIII
Recessional: 714 God, Whose Purpose Is to Kindle (HYMN TO JOY)
Postlude: Ein' feste Burg (Helmut Walcha)

Just to catch you up: We've been singing the new English translation of the Roman Missal since Easter, 2011. We switched to the new translation of the Credo at Pentecost. It sounds to me that people are picking up the Gloria (but then again, the 7:45 am crowd were not as familiar with Misa Luna with the old translation) but that people are falling back to singing the old words with the Mass of Light, as well as the Mass of Creation settings. One would think they'd get it by now. I even make it a point to lift up the leaflet that contains the words and music so that people will see it while I'm cantoring.

We'll see how it goes once everything switches over come First Sunday in Advent (November 27). If I remember to write a blog post that day, I'll report back on how it went.



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10:30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Improvisation on El Camino and on Kedrov's "Lord's Prayer"
Processional: 546, Awake, my soul, stretch every nerve (SIROË)
Song of Praise: S-236 (Benedictus es, Domine; J. Rutter)
Psalm: Psalm 107 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 545, Lo! what a cloud of witnesses (ST. FULBERT)
Offertory Anthem: When the Poor Ones (D. Cherwien, accompanied by classical guitar)
Sanctus: S-125 Community Mass (R. Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-167, The disciples knew the Lord Jesus (M. Martens; Mode 6)
Communion Hymn: 656, Blessed are the pure in heart (FRANCONIA)
Recessional: 437, Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord! (BIRMINGHAM)
Postlude: The choir joined me in singing 688, A mighty fortress is our God (EIN FESTE BURG)

It's been a while since I did a music list blogpost! First of all: many thanks to Dave Belcher, who did a masterful job on the guitar. He is classically trained, and he makes that guitar sound like a lute. The choir also did a wonderful job with this anthem as well. People mentioned it to me after service as well.

We're going to stick with this set of service music until the end of November, when we switch to a new set. We're going to be introducing a new musical setting of the Lord's Prayer, and the one suggested was the Kedrov setting of the Lord's Prayer. My plan is to play improvisations on a theme of that setting so that by the time we sing it on November 27, it'll be in the congregation's ear.

As for the postlude: last week, I ended by playing "Great is Thy Faithfulness" (and that has an interesting story... when I eventually catch up on my blogposts, which will be backdated... I'll explain the story) and much to my surprise, the choir joined in singing after they returned to the choir area. (My intention was to do an improvisation on a theme of "Great is Thy Faithfulness".)

I had the same intention for "A Mighty Fortress"... when the choir started singing along to that, I thought I might as well play through the entire hymn, and if anyone wanted to join in singing, they were more than welcome to.

I get the feeling people are enjoying this hymn-sing after service...

If I have energy left, I'll put up my Compline list when I get home from that service later on tonight.

Grace and peace!

No comments: