Tuesday, December 14, 2010

12 December - Third Sunday of Advent

Advent Wreath from Curt Jester
Yes. Late again. I have a good excuse: my voice decided to run away. I've been voiceless for the past couple of days.

Well, that silences my voice, but not my fingers. Here are my lists. I have two for you today because I went to Mass at Immaculate Conception Church. My friend, Jane L., was back behind the console.



The 7:45 am Mass at Immaculate Conception Church: as usual, the numbers come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover):

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: First Sunday of Advent
Prelude: Improvisation on Geneva 42
Opening Hymn: 326, Comfort, comfort ye my people (GENEVA 42)
Kyrie: Misa Luna
Psalm: 140, Psalm 146 (M. Haugen)
Gospel Acclamation: 263 (Hughes Alleluia in C)
Offertory: 317, O come, O come, Emmanuel (vs. 1-2; VENI, VENI, EMMANUEL)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen: 228, 229, 231; Community Mass (Proulx)
Agnus Dei: Misa Luna
Communion Anthem: "O Praise the Lord" (Tallis' Canon; arr. G. St. Clair)
Postlude: Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland (BWV 661; JS Bach)

A small schola, calling themselves the Aurora Choir, sang this lovely arrangement of Tallis' Canon. Gabrael St. Clair is one of my fellow cantors, and she asked some of IC's choir members to sing this during Communion. It was very well-received, and the choir did a wonderful job.

Gabe said she took the first three verses from the Werner Icking Music Archive, and she wrote the last verse herself. The choir, even though they were miked (you have to be in that relatively dead acoustic space), had a wonderful blend. I sincerely hope they decide to sing other pieces during that Mass in the future.



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Third Sunday of Advent: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Improvisation on Aberystwyth
Processional Hymn: 640, Watchmen, tell us of the night (ABERYSTWYTH)
Kyrie: S-91 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Psalm: Psalm 146 (Plainsong, Tone VIII.1)
Sequence Hymn: 65, Prepare the way, O Zion (BEREDEN VÄG FÖR HERRAN)
Offertory Hymn: 615, Thy kingdom come! on bended knee (ST FLAVIAN)
Sanctus: S-114, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-158, Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Communion Anthems: I sing of a maiden (P. Hadley; Natalie Wetzel, soprano; Alison Prevost, mezzo-soprano); Wie sol ich dich empfangen (from Christmas Oratorio; J.S. Bach)
Recessional Hymn: 72, Hark! the glad sound! the Savior comes (RICHMOND)
Postlude: Vom Himmel Hoch (J.G. Walther)

Since I came to my position at St. Joseph's, this is the second time I had programmed "I sing of a maiden", and Natalie and Alison did a wonderful job. The choir also did quite nicely with the piece from the Christmas Oratorio. Many thanks again to lady_karelia for her assistance!

We had an interesting visitor that morning: WRAL's David Crabtree, who is an ordained Deacon in the Episcopal Church, was sitting in the pews. I'll admit to feeling a little nervous once I recognised him. He was wearing his clericals that morning. I don't think he stayed long after the service was over...

No comments: