Sunday, May 9, 2010

9 May—Sixth Sunday of Easter

I will admit this post is way long overdue. Back-dated to May 9, 2010.

I have two lists for you today as I played one morning service and one afternoon service.




St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Sixth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Prière à Notre-Dame from Suite Gothique (L. Boëllmann)
Processional Hymn: 204, Now the green blade riseth (NOËL NOUVELET)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Psalm 67 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 530, Spread, O spread, thou mighty word (GOTT SEI DANK)
Offertory Hymn: 512, Come, gracious Spirit, heavenly Dove (MENDON)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Communion Anthem: Dona Nobis Pacem (H. Hopson)
Recessional Hymn: 292, O Jesus, crowned with all renown (KINGSFOLD)
Postlude: Menuet gothique from Suite Gothique (Boëllmann)

This was a particularly difficult service for me to play because I had suffered from hip pain. It was quite difficult to play the pedals, so I ended up playing mostly manuals only.




I played the 4:00 pm service for Carol Woods, which is organised by Chapel of the Cross. The music list would generally resemble the 8.00 am summer morning Rite I services.

The music list:

Sixth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: Improvisation on St. Kevin
Processional Hymn: 199, Come, ye faithful, raise the strain (ST. KEVIN)
Psalm: Psalm 67 (recited)
Offertory Hymn: 174, At the Lamb's high feast (SALZBURG)
Comm: Prelude in C Major from Well-Tempered Clavier I (BWV 846; J.S. Bach)
Recessional Hymn: 213, Come away to the skies, my beloved, arise (MIDDLEBURY)
Postlude: Improvisation on Middlebury

My nod to Mother's Day was the piece I played during Communion. Most would probably recognise it as the "ccompaniment" for the Bach-Gounod setting of 'Ave Maria'.

I'll be playing the Carol Woods services during the summer. It's a pleasure to be playing the piano for these services once again.

No comments: