Sunday, May 2, 2010

2 May—Fifth Sunday of Easter

I have two lists for you today as I played one morning service and one afternoon service.




St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Fifth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Adagio from Voluntary in d minor (Op. 5 No. 8; J. Stanley); Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence (M. Casner)
Processional Hymn: 296, We know that Christ is raised and dies no more (ENGELBERG)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Psalm 148 (Simplified Anglican Chant)
Sequence Hymn: 577, God is love, and where true love is (UBI CARITAS (Murray))
Offertory Hymn: 581, Where charity and love prevail (CHESHIRE)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Communion Anthem: Laudate Dominum (L. Perosi)
Communion Hymn: 324, Let all mortal flesh keep silence (PICARDY)
Recessional Hymn: 213, Come away to the skies, my beloved, arise (MIDDLEBURY)
Postlude: Fuge in D (Wm. Selby)




I drew the organist's duties at the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross. The Parish Choir was scheduled to sing today, and Van wanted my voice in the choir, so we arranged it so that he would play the choir anthem, play an improv as the gifts were being brought up to the altar, and then play the Sanctus. I played the rest of the service.

Fifth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Poco allegretto, Andantino, Poco lento from Sept Pièces en Ut Majeur et Ut Mineur (L'Organiste; C. Franck)
Processional Hymn: 432, O praise ye the Lord! (LAUDATE DOMINUM)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Psalm 148 (recited)
Sequence Hymn: 192, This joyful Eastertide (VREUCHTEN)
Offertory Anthem: Panis angelicus (C. Franck)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Communion Voluntary: Adagio from Voluntary in d minor (Op. 5 No. 8; J. Stanley)
Communion Hymn: 324, Let all mortal flesh keep silence (PICARDY)
Recessional Hymn: 174, At the Lamb's high feast (SALZBURG)
Postlude: Fuge in D (Wm. Selby)

It was interesting that the sermon for the morning service was based more on Revelations 21:1–6 whilst the sermon for the afternoon service was based on John 13:31–35. I suspect the music lists could easily have been swapped between the two services to reflect the sermon. Just an observation I made. Both Rhonda and DFraz delivered excellent sermons today.

Next Sunday: Sixth Sunday of Easter. It's also Mother's Day and graduation day at UNC Chapel Hill.

EDITED TO ADD:
Goodness. I'm going to have to recreate my Fourth Sunday of Easter post. Stupid me over-wrote it. Bleah. Thank goodness for LiveJournal. And thanks to my friend, Juno Magic, as she helped me set that up when I'd first 'met' her via the interwebz a couple of years ago...

No comments: