Tuesday, March 10, 2009

8 March - Second Sunday in Lent

Here is the list with the rest of the music I played this past weekend. If you want to see what I played at Immaculate Conception's Saturday Vigil Mass, click here.

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Second Sunday in Lent: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: O Mensch, bewein' dein' Sünde groß, BWV 622 (J.S. Bach)
Pro: 401, The God of Abraham praise (LEONI)
Kyrie: S-91 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Psalm: Psalm 22:22-30 (Tone II.1)
Seq: 675, Take up your cross, the Savior said (BOURBON)
Off: 328, Draw nigh and take the Body of the Lord (SONG 46)
Sanctus: S-124 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: S-161 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Communion Anthem: A Prayer of St Richard of Chichester (L.J. White)
Communion Hymn: 707, Take my life, and let it be (HOLLINGSIDE)
Re: 636, How firm a foundation (FOUNDATION)


Episcopal Centre at Duke University didn't have a service because the students were on Spring Break. There won't be a service for the Third Sunday in Lent either as the students will just be returning.

Instead, I played a pair of services, whose lists are reproduced below.

Services at Carol Woods are organised by Chapel of the Cross. This was a simple service, really resembling the 8.00 am summer morning Rite I services at Chapel of the Cross, with a few omissions, depending upon the Presider of the Day.

Second Sunday in Lent: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Pro: 401, The God of Abraham praise (LEONI)
Psalm: Psalm 22 (recited)
Off: 675, Take up your cross, the Savior said (BOURBON)
Comm: Allegro from Voluntary in e minor, Op. 7, No. 7 (J. Stanley)
Re: 636, How firm a foundation (FOUNDATION)

I suppose programming music for this Sunday must have been quite straightforward as these three hymn selections, as chosen by Van Quinn, mirrored exactly what I chose for St Joseph's. Well, how could you not choose what I did for the Opening Hymn with the First reading (Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16) as well as what I chose for the Sequence Hymn, which matches very well the Gospel reading (Mark 8:31-38)?

Right after I finished at Carol Woods, I had to dash over to downtown Chapel Hill to play the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross. The Parish Choir also sang this service. Apparently, they had two anthems planned, but only sang the Offertory anthem because the Communion anthem didn't get printed in the bulletin, so I played a hymn instead after assuring Van I prepared it (fingers crossed behind my back. My "preparation" was ensuring it was in my service binder. I completely sight-read and bungled the alternate harmonisation, but oh well. The congregation still sang as if no mistakes happened).

With that, this list:

Second Sunday in Lent: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Adagio-Allegro, Voluntary in e minor, Op. 7, No. 7 (J. Stanley)
Pro: 401, The God of Abraham praise (LEONI)
Psalm: Psalm 22:22-30 (recited)
Seq: 675, Take up your cross, the Savior said (BOURBON)
Offertory Anthem: Create in me a clean heart, O God (C.F. Mueller)
Sanctus: S-125 Community Mass (R. Proulx)
Communion Hymn: 691, My faith looks up to thee (OLIVET)
Re: 636, How firm a foundation (FOUNDATION)
Postlude: O Mensch, bewein' dein' Sünde groß, BWV 622 (J.S. Bach)


Compline at the Chapel of the Cross. We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

Tu solus qui facis mirabilia (Josquin Desprez)
Psalm 91 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: Christ, mighty Saviour (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, plainsong Mode 7)
Nunc Dimittis (fauxbourdon, H. Willan)
Ave Regina Cælorum (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Robert Parsons)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

No comments: