Tuesday, March 24, 2009

22 March - Fourth Sunday in Lent

Lætáre Jerúsalem:
et convéntum fácite
ómnes qui dilígitis éam:
gaudéte cum lætítia,
qui in tristítia fuístis:
ut exsultétis, et satiémini
abubéribus consolatiónis véstræ.


Yes, we are half-way through Lent. Last Sunday was Lætare Sunday, so-named after the Introit of the day, which I've reproduced for you above (Rejoice, O Jerusalem: and come together all you that love her: rejoice with joy you that have been in sorrow: that you may exult, and be filled from the breasts of your consolation).

Here are my usual lists.

My turn for cantoring came up at Immaculate Conception. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover).

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Fourth Sunday of Lent: Lætare Sunday
Prelude: Herzlich tut mich verlangen (J. Brahms)
Opening Hymn: 384, Forty days and forty nights (HEINLEIN)
Kyrie: 175, chanted ably by Fr Bill
Psalm: 30, Psalm 23, (antiphon by Gelineau; verses set to Tone V)
Gospel Acclamation: 160-A, Mass of Creation (M Haugen)
Offertory: 852, At that first Eucharist before you died (UNDE ET MEMORES)
Sanctus: 180, People's Mass
Mem. Accl., Amen: 181-182, Danish Amen Mass
Agnus Dei: 184, Agnus Dei XVIII (in English)
Communion: 387, Attende Domine (plainsong, Mode V)
Song of Thanksgiving: 878, The Master came to bring good news (ICH GLAUB AN GOTT)
Postlude: Vater unser in Himmelreich, BWV 737 (J.S. Bach)

Usually, whenever I cantor, I usually cede the chanting of the Kyrie to the priest, unless he specifically requests for me to chant it. This was the first time I cantored a Mass celebrated by Fr Bill (I've played Masses with him celebrating before, but not cantoring). He was surprised and delighted that I asked him to chant the Kyrie. So he took a quick look at #175, and said, "Yes, I can do this."

Then when he chanted it – he did the first line perfectly ("Lord have mercy" – B-flat – G – G – F – G), and managed with the second line ("Christ have mercy" – B-flat – A – B-flat – G – A – B-flat). However, he hesitated on the third line. As I looked at him agonise over how he was going to chant line 3, I started chanting in my head, "Just do line 1 over again, Fr Bill!" He eventually figured it out, and did exactly that. Jane (the organist) and I exchanged a smile as he did that.

Oh, and if you're curious as to why we used Year A readings as opposed to Year B readings: I've got four letters for you: RCIA. :)

St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Fourth Sunday in Lent: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Adagio-Allegro, Voluntary in e minor, Op. 7, No. 7 (J. Stanley)
Pro: 686, Come, thou fount of every blessing (NETTLETON)
Kyrie: S-91 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Psalm: Psalm 107 (Tone II.1)
Seq: 706, In your mercy, Lord, you called me (HALTON HOLGATE)
Off: 671, Amazing grace! how sweet the sound (NEW BRITAIN)
Sanctus: S-124 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: S-161 New Plainsong (D. Hurd)
Communion Anthem: God so loved the world (J. Stainer)
Re: 448, O love, how deep, how broad, how high (DEUS TUORUM MILITUM)

Please, no rotten tomatoes over my choice of Offertory Hymn! Every once in a while, for the sake of being pastoral, I'll have to step out of my comfort zone, and Amazing Grace is definitely out of mine, as far as playing it is concerned. The congregation sang it very heartily though, so I suppose that justifies, in my mind, my choosing it.


Services at Episcopal Centre at Duke University resumed with an Instructed Eucharist.

Fourth Sunday in Lent: Holy Eucharist Rite I
Prelude: God so loved the world (J. Stainer)
Kyrie: S-91 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Psalm: Psalm 107 (recited)
Seq: 686, Come, thou fount of every blessing (NETTLETON)
Off: 671, Amazing grace! how sweet the sound (NEW BRITAIN)
Sanctus: S-114 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Agnus Dei: S-158 Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena (Willan)
Comm: 455, O Love of God, how strong and true (DUNEDIN)
Re: 448, O love, how deep, how broad, how high (DEUS TUORUM MILITUM)

It was indeed a very interesting service. The students participated in the Crop Walk, so our friends Kate and Monty Reichert and Fred Hawkins provided dinner for afters. Many thanks to them for that!


Compline at the Chapel of the Cross. We've been using the Order for Compline, as set by David Hurd.

Here are our little additions:

Hide not thou thy face (Richard Farrant)
Psalm 91 (chanted to Tone 8)
Hymn: Christ, mighty Saviour (CHRISTE, LUX MUNDI, plainsong Mode 7)
In manus tuas (Sheppard; sung in addition to "Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit ...)
Nunc Dimittis from Evening Service (Farrant)
Ave Regina Cælorum (Marian antiphon right after the Dismissal)
Ave Maria (Robert Parsons)
Organ Voluntary by the abfab David Arcus.

No comments: