Thursday, May 21, 2009

17 May - Sixth Sunday of Easter

As usual, here are my music lists for Sunday services.

My turn for cantoring came up at Immaculate Conception. Any numbers you see come out of GIA's Gather Comprehensive 1994 (green cover).

Sunday 7.45 am Mass: Sixth Sunday of Easter
Prelude: Air on the G String (J.S. Bach)
Hymn in Procession: 445, That Easter day with joy was bright (PUER NOBIS)
Psalm: Psalm 98, (antiphon 263 (Hughes Alleluia in C); verses set to Tone VIII)
Gospel Acclamation: 261 (A.G. Murray)
Offertory: 625, Where charity and love prevail (CHRISTIAN LOVE)
Sanctus, Mem. Accl., Amen, Agnus Dei: 166-168; 171, Mass of Creation
Communion Solo: Regina Coeli
Recessional Hymn: 482, Jesus shall reign where'er the sun (DUKE STREET)
Postlude: Prelude to Te Deum (M.A. Charpentier)

As far as the Communion chant was concerned: I could have done the "simpler" version that is found in the Gather Hymnal, but considering how many times I've sung the "fancier" version at Compline, I decided I would chant that version. I received many compliments on it. Even as I was walking out of the church, people were stopping me and telling me how lovely they found the chant, and my effort overall that morning.

/stepping on soapbox

It's just as what others have said all along – there is a hunger for this kind of music, and people are clamouring to hear more chant at the Mass. Wasn't it stated that chant should have pride of place during the Liturgy? IMHO, we should make more of an effort to include chant in the Mass.

/stepping off the soapbox

Okay, it's a mild rant, but that is definitely how I feel. I am glad that I can do my small part toward this goal. :)



St. Joseph's Episcopal Church where I played the usual 10.30 am service. As usual, the numbers are out of The Hymnal 1982.

Sixth Sunday of Easter: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: Mass for the Convents: Plein jeu and Récit de Chromhorne (F. Couperin)
Processional Hymn: 204, Now the green blade riseth (NOËL NOUVELET)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Ps 98 (Barrett)
Sequence Hymn: 392, Come, we that love the Lord (VINEYARD HAVEN)
Offertory Hymn: 455, O Love of God, how strong and true (DUNEDIN)
Sanctus: S-125, Community Mass (Proulx)
Lord's Prayer: chanted (S-119 in Hymnal 1982)
Fraction Anthem: S-154, New Plainsong (Hurd)
Communion Motet: My Eyes for Beauty Pine (H. Howells)
Recessional Hymn: 292, O Jesus, crowned with all renown (KINGSFOLD)
Postlude: Mass for the Convents: Offertoire sur les grands jeux (F. Couperin)

Heh. The Recessional Hymn was my acknowledgement that the Sixth Sunday after Easter was also known as Rogation Sunday.



Next service: My turn came up to play the the 5.15 pm service at Chapel of the Cross. I sang the Offertory anthem with the Parish Choir.

Prelude: Mass for the Convents: Plein jeu and Récit de Chromhorne (F. Couperin)
Processional Hymn: 174, At the Lamb's high feast we sing (SALZBURG)
Gloria: S-280 (Powell)
Psalm: Psalm 98, recited
Sequence Hymn: 455, O Love of God, how strong and true (DUNEDIN)
Offertory: Hallelujah, Amen from Judas Maccebeus (G.F. Handel)
Sanctus: S-125 Community Mass (R. Proulx)
Communion Voluntary: Mass for the Convents: Tierce en Taille (Elevation; F. Couperin)
Communion Hymn: 706, In your mercy, Lord, you called me (HALTON HOLGATE)
Recessional Hymn: 477, All praise to thee, for thou, O King divine (ENGELBERG)
Postlude: Mass for the Convents: Offertoire sur les grands jeux (F. Couperin)

I really love playing the Dobson organ. I also appreciate the adjustable bench as well. Having to play on a bench that is too high for me has negatively affected my pedalling technique.

The next time I'll be playing the 5:15 pm service will be on Pentecost Sunday.

No comments: