Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Cheese Plate

It's fallen to me to create a Cheese Plate for a post-recital reception for tomorrow as the person who usually does this is out of town this weekend. After having done a bit of research on how to put one together, I decided on the following 5 cheeses. Let me know what you think.

Champagne-flavoured aged cheddar cheese
Soft, unripened goat cheese topped with roasted red pepper jelly
Brie, stuffed with cranberry and walnut (will be heated shortly before serving)
Manchego
Borough Market Stilton

I've heard the following rule of thumb works for putting together a cheese plate:

Something old
Something new
Something goat
Something blue

Well, at least I got 3 of the 4 ... not sure just how new the brie is; the manchego has 8 months on the label.

I will be arranging the cheese plate with green and black grapes, and will have a good amount of crackers nearby. Someone else is bringing the wines; I heard a chardonnay and something red, maybe a Shiraz or something similar.

At least I learnt something new today. I've never put together a cheese plate before, and I had fun poking around Whole Foods, looking for the cheeses for this plate.

No comments: