Friday, December 25, 2009

25 December - Christmas Day

Picture comes courtesy of The Curt Jester .

Not surprisingly, I fell way behind in posting my music lists. I will admit that this post was written well after Christmas (it's already Lent as I write this ... Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa) ... but anyway, I will share this list with you.

My friend over at St Philip's Episcopal Church asked me to play the 10.00 am Christmas Day service for him. I agreed. I'll admit, I had an ulterior motive: the Durham-Chapel Hill chapter of the American Guild of Organists had scheduled a Members' Recital at St Philip's for January 8, 2010, and I was one of those scheduled to play. So it gave me a chance to get acclimated to the organ, plus it gave me a chance to work on the piece I said I'd play. There were ca. 30 people present ... it really was difficult to predict how many people would be coming. Numbers are out of the Hymnal 1982. Some alternate harmonisations out of Carols for Choirs I were used during the service.

Christmas Day: Holy Eucharist Rite II
Prelude: In dulci jubilo (F. Zachau); Lobt Gott, ihr Christen, allzugleich (J.G. Walther)
Processional Hymn: 83, O come, all ye faithful (ADESTE FIDELES)
Song of Praise: 96, Angels we have heard on high (GLORIA)
Offertory Hymn: 82, Of the Father's love begotten (DIVINUM MYSTERIUM)
Sanctus: S-130 (Deutsche Messe, F. Schubert)
Communion Hymn: 109, The First Nowell (THE FIRST NOWELL)
Recessional Hymn: 100, Joy to the World (ANTIOCH)
Postlude: Wir Christenleut' (J. G. Walther)

No comments: