Sunday, January 13, 2008

JunoMagic's Sunday Feast

Okay, well I called it Sunday Feast because I'm filling it in on a Sunday, whereas she did hers last Friday. JunoMagic, who writes Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fanfiction, had this interesting meme, and I decided I'd bite. Sorry for being a little long-winded here.

Appetizer: What is your middle name? Would you change any of your names if you could? If so, what would you like to be called?

My middle name is my mother's maiden name: Yalong. I don't think I would change any of my names, not now, not ever. I'm just glad my parents never named me "Joher," and glad that Lola Ina intervened at the right time. I'm named after the Patron Saint of mum's hometown, Sta. Elena.

Soup: If you were a fashion designer, which fabrics, colors, and styles would you probably use the most?

Oh dear. Definitely not a strong suit of mine as I generally never pay attention to stuff like this. I tend to like dark colours, especially black, dark blues (although thanks to living in NC, I've acquired a taste for Carolina Blue, as well as the Duke Blue Devil blue), dark purples, etc. People tell me I look great in orange and salmon type colours, but I don't particularly fancy them myself.

As for fabrics ... well, for me, whatever is comfortable works well. The only thing I'm not so keen on is wool as it's awfully itchy on the skin. I did crochet a maroon hat made of lambswool though, and it's become my signature hat - people can tell me a mile away when they see me wear it on a cold day.

I like to go for the simple look - everything I have in my wardrobe matches, polo shirts, mostly black or dark blue trousers. I love my scrubs though, very comfy, and I like to wear them in the lab. I particularly fancy the Professor Snape costume that Alan Rickman wears when filming the Harry Potter films - if I can have a frock coat like that, I would be in seventh heaven. Never mind that I'd look horrible in it.

Salad: What is your least favorite chore, and why?

Well, when Muki was with me, I absolutely loathed cleaning out the litter box. However, it was one of those necessary evils and I endured it every day.

Main Course: What is something that really frightens you, and can you trace it back to an event in your life?

Erm ... well, I am a little nervous about tomorrow, having to step into the role of Organist/Choirmaster. I know I can do the Organist bit; it's the Choirmaster bit that has me scared. I'm glad I've got friends like Mary Lycan and Kathy Parkins - they've both given me invitations to visit St. Luke's and First Pres, respectively, to peruse their collections for small choirs, and I will definitely take them up on their offers.

Dessert: Where are you sitting right now? Name 3 things you can see at this moment.

I'm sitting in a comfy chair in the living room right now. I am currently seeing:

#1: My sea urchin tank to my right. I started off with 14 hapless sea urchins that I rescued from certain death in the lab. More than a year and a half later, I have 3 still sticking to the sides of the aquarium, which is quite amazing, considering they generally only live 2-4 weeks after having been injected with potassium chloride, according to the research literature.

#2: A small table to my left, piled high with books I intend to read, and just beyond that, several pots filled with African Violets.

#3: a chair filled with General Chemistry and General Chemistry Lab texts. Gotta have my resources when writing up those lectures, designing those labs, and writing up those exams (ugh!) ... yes, kids, as much as you hate taking those Chemistry exams, your instructor likes writing them even less, and imagine having to mark those exams ...

Tag, you're it! Is there anyone out there who would like to give this interesting meme a go?

No comments: